Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Why I NEED this Clutter Busting Challenge

  •  Who can find a virtuous woman? her prices is far above rubies
  • She looketh well to the ways of her household
  • She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy 



Today I had the privilege of meeting Rev. Barnabas Mtkambali, General Superintendent of the Tanzanian Assemblies of God. 

Being General Superintendent means for this organization, in this country, he is The Big Dog.

As he shared with us about his country, he briefly mentioned in passing that they have over 150 different tribes there, and so have over 150 different languages spoken, although Swahili is the common language used to communicate for those from different regions and tribes.  They are also a very poor country, something the fourth from the bottom in economics among African countries. 

These things were mentioned just in passing, though, as what he shared with us was their passion and vision to reach their country for Christ.  Every member is encouraged to try to win and disciple just one person per year for the Lord.  Each church is urged to plant one new church every three years, and to raise up ministers and future pastors from among their members at the rate of one a year for each congregation.  They've built boarding schools with a stream-lined curriculum for those who feel called to be church planters, with credits that can be transferred later (once they've gone into ministry and planted a church or two) when they have time to pursue additional schooling.  Everything is so well designed, and organized.  They developed this plan after a nationwide effort of praying and fasting over a three month time. 

Their original Church Planting schools were thatched roof, mud brick huts.  Now they are replacing them with what Rev. Mtkambali described as "simple, adequate" buildings. 

"Simple, adequate." If I was satisfied with "simple and adequate", I wouldn't need to participate in this Clutter Busting Challenge. 

I want to look well to the ways of my household.  I want to look well to the ways of my ministry.  I want to be able to reach my hands to the poor and needy. 

I want to be content with "simple, adequate"--everything.  Clothes, food, house, possessions. 

My husband and I are givers already.  We tithe to our local church, and we give additional offerings over and above our tithe to other ministries, including various missions works.  We recently paid off the last of our debts, making it possible for him to take a local job where he gets to come home every night, vs. one where he traveled all the time, but it's at a much smaller salary.  Still, we give, and have no call to complain about what we make, or give, or have.

But I could do better.  

I'm the one who looks longingly at the latest and greatest in technology, and gripe and grumble if I don't always get the things I want.  I'm the one who feels it, and sighs, when I have to "do without". 

I heard a minister on the radio this week--not sure who, but a nationally known, syndicated radio program-- talk about how most of us gripe and grumble and are never satisfied, and yet we live better today than even kings did just two hundred years ago. (Maybe even less, now that I think about it.)

I'm still going to be clutter busting, and I'll be posting pictures of it again starting tomorrow.

But for today, I just felt the need to bust a little clutter out of my soul. 

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. What a nice post. It does put a lot into perspective when we see/hear how some of the world's less fortunate live.

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails