Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Vintage Indian Motorcycles

My husband has always liked motorcycles. When we first started dating, he didn't have even have a car at the time, just a motorcycle. He got rid of it not long after we were married, but I know that one of these days we'll probably end up owning another. In the course of our travels, we've seen a lot of different motorcycle dealerships and shops, but he was really excited when he spotted one for Indian Motorcycles. When we had a chance to stop in and look around, we found not only brand new Indians, but a nice collection of vintage ones, as well.

All of the pictures below are "clickable", which means if you click on them you can see them larger, then hit the "back" button on your toolbar to come back here for the next picture.

1913 Indian Twin, 7 HP




1940 Indian Chief, valued at $55,950

I love the detailing on these older bikes.


1951 Indian Chief, valued at $38,100


Isn't this light a cool feature?


This is a real "Wooden Indian"!


This was the most unique one, for sure...

...a 1937 Chief


Cool, huh?
(edited to add: if memory serves me correctly, this is a real, working motorcycle. There are a few non-wooden parts on it make if functional)


But I think this one with the sidecar was my favorite...


it's a 1947 Chief, and for sale, too...


for a mere $24,995!


How about this cute mini-bike?



Even the signs are interesting.

There were, of course new bikes, and some of them were sweeeeet. I'll be honest, I'm not a big motorcycle fan, they scare me--but even I would ride on one of these.

Which one is your favorite?

This post is linked to:

"Say Cheese"
at It's a Blog Party
Vintage Thingie Thursday at Coloradolady


Until next time...

15 comments:

  1. Those are very interesting machines. Did you see the child-size one last night on Pawn Stars?? Fascinating!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the one with the side car is the best. But they are all beautiful.
    Is that wooden one a real bike? Does it run?
    My husband only had a bike when I met him too. Had to use my car for dates, or borrow his dads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like them all! They scare me too! I rode a bike just once and was sick to my stomach...a sure sign that it's not for me....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! I love the sleek styling of these old bikes. The headlight is awesome, and that wooden bike! Did that actually run? Like you're driving a forest, I imagine, ha. Very interesting VTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never paid a lot of attention to motorcycles, but these are most interesting. Such details and colors. Also, very pricey. With gas like it is we might all should get one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband races a vintage motorcycle but not that old - I think it's a 60's Honda. Those Indians are amazing. I love the styling of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These Indians are all just gorgeous! I'm totally fascinated by that 1913 bike-it even had bike pedals!

    Why are the red ones the most beautiful?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the oldest one that looks almost like a regular bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what an interesting post...I thought the first picture was a bike....as in the peddle kind! Very neat post for today. Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - they don't give these away! The light on the black one is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are gorgeous, I'm going to show them to my husband. Love the light and the side car, so much fun!

    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful bikes, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are neat! The pictures are amazing!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can only dream of being reincarnated as an Indian motorcycle :) I have a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT which I love, but if someone foolish enough wanted to trade even an old 1940/50 something Indian for my bike, they'd have an instant deal!! :) Hi ladies, so cool to be in the presence of other gal bikers!!:)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were absolutely the most beautiful motorcycles I've ever seen, before or since! Loved this stop!

      Delete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails