Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Old Mason Jar

  • She considereth a field (or other "thingie") and buyeth it...

front

This is my most recent "thrifty" purchase. I paid $4 for this at the same thrift shop/flea market where I bought the J & G Meakins Vine fruit bowl earlier. Isn't it nifty looking? It's a Mason jar, quart sized, and has a zinc lid with a white glass or porcelain lining. It does have a big chip in the threaded neck, which was why it was marked "as is" (!). There were a few other, somewhat pricier jars there, but for some reason they didn't appeal to me as much as this one. I just loved the shape and feel of this one--as well as the price!



detail

Here's a slightly better detail shot--it actually reads "Mason's Patent 1858" but for some reason top of the 5 didn't show up well in any of the pictures I took. I love the way the old glass has bubbles and sort of "waves" when you look through it. (Click on any of the pictures to see a larger image--you can really see the details then) It has seams, so I know it was made with a mold, not hand blown as some really old jars were. I tried to do some on-line research about vintage and antique jars, and am guessing from what I read that this one is pre-1950's, but later than the 1930's possibly pre 1930's because it doesn't have the finger grip ridges on the sides. Maybe.


back



I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this--not food storage, even for dry stuff, with that chip in the neck, but it will at some time be put on display or be used to display something. Maybe.

At any rate, this is my third "thrifty", "second hand", "vintage-or-not" buy.

I don't really know what I like yet, or why certain pieces appeal to me while others don't. I may end up with a hodge-podge of "junk" , or I may find that perfect-to-me treasure trove of wonderful things.

I'm thinking the latter.

Want to see what other thrifters are finding or showing off this week? Click over and see the links at:

Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville

Vintage Thingies at Coloradolady

More Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality

Until next time....

32 comments:

  1. I really like your Mason jar! It has a different shape than your typical Ball jar, which I have way too many of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh that is cool, it is so hard to find those original vintage jars now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old jars are one of my favorite things. Mine hold buttons, marbles, thread spools, and all sorts of other treasures.

    I think we all find things that appeal to us and that is why we collect them. For some of us, there are MANY things that appeal to us. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry, there is nothing wrong with a hodge-podge of junk....that is the best kind. How do I know...well, that is what I have!! Love your jar, I like to buy them when I find them too. Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice old jar. I have several but all with glass lids instead of the metal. Pretty neat..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would be pretty with sand, shells and a stubby candle in it for summertime on the back porch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute, and I agree with Jan on what to put into it. EVen perhaps some tomato sewing pins. Like they are canned. How cute would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find! I usually only find pink Mason jars.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great find.If I had such a wonderful jar, mine would display buttons. Happy VTT..have a most wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have so many jars including a few like this one. They are so good for holding odds and ends like buttons, old keys, marbles, dominos, game pieces...basically a hand full of anything that doesn't have a home anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love old glass & I have some too. You might think about filling it with old buttons or other stuff. Or some of that colored pasta just for display.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great Mason jar! Those are getting so hard to find! Great price too!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love collecting old jars and i especially love old Mason jars..nice find :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have one almost just like it and I turned it into a lamp....I put old buttons and a few darning threads in it...so cute. Makes a great desk lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really do have a great find there, I think I would display it on a shelf or table with a few other similar items of the period, not necessarily jars, just what ever appeals to you..maybe fill it with old buttons and do an old sewing theme...
    I just love old jars.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  16. buttons look really cool in these jars, have fun

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting shape...not the usual Mason Jar I've seen before!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi!
    I have several old Mason jars, the blue ones, that I store my buttons in. Great find! Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    http://splummer-aviewofmylife.blogspot.com/2009/06/thrifty-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great jar! I love the zinc lids...hmmmm...I'd fill it with buttons! Funny how us bloggers love to find treasures we have no idea what we'll do with! Great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love a mason jar - they are such good friends. They can hold your ribbons or your stamps or they can be a really original Cloche with Sand and Shells (Leigh's idea) OR they can hold a nice bouquet of daisies. Oh the possiblities of simplicity. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, it's just me again. Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by...and, also, white dishes are my very favorite. You can pick up little pretty smaller plates at thrift stores, garage sales and etc and they look great on a big white plate. Different colors of napkins, place mats, tableclothes...all can make a great look with white dishes/ Looking forward to you joining us for a Tablescape Thursday at Susan's sometime soon!!
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have not seen a Mason jar that old, it is surely a treasure! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the shape. Get an emery board and you can sand down the chip so it doesn't get worse, then stick stuff in it...maybe not food storage, but cotton balls?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am late for VTT and am sorry.. nevertheless.. I really like your mason jar. always love those kind of jars.. but very difficult to get one here at my side of the world.. what you gonna keep in this jar?

    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That jar has such a beautiful shape, I can see why you fell for it :) Enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very unusual shape, that's for sure. Must be pretty old! Lots of options for filling, just depends on where you want to put it, I guess. Great price on something so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love an old mason jar. I have 3 in my studio I use for various things...
    Hugs ~ Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it! Maybe fill it with old buttons or something and display it in your bathroom?? I find stuff I like all the time, and am just not sure what to do with it! ;) Visiting from Rhoda's party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I found a jar just like yours this weekend two. In fact I found 3 different ones. But one that looks very similar in shape & size to yours. I paid $10.00 for mine in an antique store. The other 2 I found at the thrift store. I posted about them today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your Prov. 32 tie in with "thingie"- too, too funny!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails