Thursday, June 11, 2009

My First "Thrifty Thursday"

  • She is like merchant's ships, she bringeth her food (and other things!) from afar
  • She considereth a field, and buyeth it...

I've never been much of a thrift store/garage sale/flea market shopper. I can remember going to a few garage sales with my mom when I was young, and I've gone to thrift stores and the like a few times over the years, but I never seem to find the "good stuff" and bargains that I hear of from other people. I even had a pastor's wife for a while who was the queen of thrift shopping, and I still didn't catch the knack.

Just lately, though, I've been venturing into a thrift store (I admit, the first time I was lured by the bake sale they were having and the promise of chocolate pie and homemade crescent rolls) and even a flea market or two.

While my son was browsing books, I found this pretty little bowl:


I bought this for $2 just because I thought it was pretty.


The markings on the back show "J & G Meakin, England, Sterling, Vine". I've discovered that the pattern is "Vine" and J & G Meakins is an English (obviously!) company that was was in business from sometime in the 1800's to about 2000, but is no longer in business. The "Vine" pattern was apparently made in blue and red (some listings call it pink), but so far I haven't been able to discover which years this piece was made. I don't think it's all that old realtively speaking. I did find a few pieces on e-Bay and at a company that specializes in replacement pieces for discontinued china and tableware. Interesting what you can find out from the internet, huh?


So today I'm participating for the first time in a new-to-me meme (that's blogger talk for "theme") at Tales from Bloggeritaville called "Thrifty Thursday", where everyone links to posts about their thrift store finds.

Edited to add: I'm also linking this post to:
2nd Time Around at A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words

Want to see what everyone else is buying? Click on over and follow a few links to see the other pretty and interesting things other bloggers are finding.

Until next time...

17 comments:

  1. What a sweet little bowl. I also love that the internet makes it so easy to search and find out about things.

    Welcome to the world of thrifting. It can be addicting and the amazing thing it that you will never want to pay full price for things if you can help it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this bowl. I have gotten quite a few old bowls from my grandmother (we moved into her home after she passed away) and from my husband's grandmother. I don't use them much because I'm afraid of breaking them. I just put them out where I can see them and remember Nanny using them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious bowl! I am so glad that you searched and found that information! Very interesting find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to start a red and white chine collection. I have been searching high and low but have still come across nothing ! Great find !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fine vintage item, at a great thrifty price!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is a sweet find. I love the bowl and the pattern, I would have bought that one too. I think you got it for a great price.

    Thanks for participating today, have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice bowl - very precious! Happy VTT to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, is this Meakin china day? I'll have to look through my cupboards...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the second Meakin China today. I never heard of it before, but I am not a china collector.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful bowl! Don't you feel that they made the best dishes in England, way back when?! Great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is a pretty bowl!
    {i'm not much for garage sales either...mostly find other people's junk}}
    happy thrifting to you~
    chasity

    ReplyDelete
  12. The internet is is our friend. I have found it very helpful. I have learnt alot about Meakin on VTT. You have a lovely bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You will be glad you joined the VTT group. If you have not viewed it, you will see most anything. Have a great day and more good shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that's so pretty! OK, now that you've made your first thrifty score of the "good stuff", you won't be able to stop...trust me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've also never had the luck that some people do...I've tried to console myself with..."they live in a better place-where they live people don't hold onto their stuff like they do here"! :)

    Your bowl is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. you got nice bowl, red & white just perfect colours!.. and Meakin is my fave too.. I have few meakins in my china cupboard.. Happy VTT & thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the colors of your bowl.

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails