Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My "New" Breadbox

  • She is like merchant's ships, she bringeth her food (and other things!) from afar

  • She considereth a field, and buyeth it...



Don't they look well together? Not "matchy-matchy", but close enough to co-ordinate?



I received this bread plate several years ago as a gift. Most of it's life has been spent inside a cabinet, alongside my other pretty plates, platters, and serving dishes. I was cleaning and decluttering and moving things around, so I had it out recently, and my son noticed it.


Not long after, he spotted a wooden bread box with similar carved detail at a sort of combination flea market/garage sale he works at from time to time, and I was able to get it later that day for $8. I cleaned it with some Murphy's Oil Soap, and I may go back later with Old English Scratch Cover and darken the bottom edge just a little. Or not.

Now if only I had some homemade bread to put in it...

What thrift shop finds have you made lately? For links to other thrifty goodies, see:

More Thrifty Finds at Southern Hospitality

Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Boggeritaville

Until next time....

8 comments:

  1. Love your bread box! We are totally addicted the thrift stores. Yesterday we went all over the city (even on our vacation). We found lots of treasures - like a brand new microwave (our just died) and a mouse for my new laptop! I just have to remember just because it CHEAP doesn't mean we NEED it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice that the tray and breadbox have closely similar motifs! It was a very good find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for joining in the thrifty finds post this week. We'll be doing it again next Monday! Nice pieces you've found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! I love your bread box! :D I love going to the thrift store, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were meant to be together! I love them both and as a combo they are fantastic! Thanks for participaing in Thrifty Thursday this week! I was late in posting the links, so forgive me. It's my fault that you may have some late visits.
    Thanks for partcipating. Next week I will be back on a good schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were given a bread platter very similar to yours for a wedding present. For YEARS I used it - - - but in the last two moves I have boxes that NEVER got unpacked, and now I have NO IDEA where my little bread tray is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute together!! I love that they aren't too matchy...but show the same scene--ish...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've some platters that have just hung out in the cupboard for too long - thanks for the reminder. The bred box is a great find.

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails