Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Doors of Welcome Mini Series-October Installment

Welcome to the first installment of the Doors of Welcome mini-series, hosted by Karen at Some Days are Diamonds!

(click on any of the picutres to see them closer; then click on the 'back' button on your browser to return)

October finds me 625 miles from my rural home, living in a furnished apartment in a small city while my husband completes a work project here. Some of the decorations are mine that I brought from home, one item is 'borrowed' from the apartment, and one item is new.


This is the wreath that I brought from home--I just love the simple lines. I've had it for several years, and because I know I bought it in our small hometown, it had to have come from either Dollar General, Family Dollar, or Wal-mart.



This pretty little trunk-looking box is "borrowed" from the apartment decor--it usually sits, closed, on top of the entertainment armoire. I opened it up and filled it with assorted garlands and fall picks, most of which I already had; one of these was leftover from the wreath I made at home last month, all of them are from Dollar Tree and Dollar General.


And last but not least, the one new item I bought, the rug came from Dollar General and was $5.00.


As you can see, I don't have much space. We have one neighbor literally right next door, a quiet elderly gentleman...

...and we are inset quite a bit from the breezeway opening. There are two other apartments directly across from these, but we are on an upper level, so luckily we don't get a lot of "thru traffic"!


I hope you enjoyed this glimpse of my "door of welcome"; for links to more beautiful decorations, click on the "Doors of Welcome" picture above and see the list of links on her left sidebar!


Until next time...

25 comments:

  1. Hi Charlene, Home is where your heart is, and since your heart is with your husband, a fall wreath, a little box of color, and a welcoming fall doormat make an apartment "a home". So nice to meet you, Hope you have a lovely fall season!
    Blessings, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlene - it is adorable. And I love the "suitcase" idea!
    I will just bet your cute little gentleman neighbor loves to see your cheerful decor!
    Thanks for joining in!
    Karen @ Some Days Are Diamonds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your happy door! The arrangement in the suitcase is too sweet:) Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty entry way! I love the chest filled with Fall leaves. That was so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So warm and inviting...love all of the fall color!!!

    Enjoy!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your door looks so warm and inviting. Love the colorful rug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so lovely. The trunk is such a nice touch. Everything looks so festive infront of that black door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet you decorated in a temporary place. We lived in an apt for about 4 months waiting for our home to be finished..and I tried a little decorating too...Your door is very cute and welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea to use the old suitcase idea out doors! Your entry way looks very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever and virtuous woman you are, using a piece from inside to decorate with. Most everything I ever have comes from Walmart or one of the dollar stores. I adore them! Your door is warm and welcoming. Thanks for sharing.

    ps: I remember years ago the times I was far from home while hubby completed work assignments. I rather liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Debra home is where your heart is! I love what you did with the trunk. I just might steal the idea!!

    Happy Fall!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your nice comment on my door. I love your new rug and what a great idea to put garlands in a trunk !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your front porch looks very fallish. I love the trunk full of leaves...and the rug is so cute! I think you did a wonderful job decorating, being so far from home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luv your idea with the trunk. It looks great with the Fall leaves. Great idea. Stop by. I just opened Cottage Loft Boutique. Hugs, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great way to make it feel more like home. It's so nice to take a space that's so ordinary and make it extraordinary!!! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the suitcase with the leaves. Very inventive. Happy fall, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the suitcase. It's a lovely door of welcome! Hugz, Z

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your sweet comments about my door and blog. I really appreciate it:) It's so nice that you can bring a little bit of home with you while you're away. Have a blessed season.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cute door mat!!
    Thanks for visiting nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job, especailly with limited space. The trunk with the flowers is so cute and I just love your wreath. Your new rug adds the finishing touch! Hope you get to be home soon with the holidays coming.
    Hugs,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Apartment or house, your door is still so welcoming! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi Darlene, that's so nice that you decorated your rented nest and I bet your elderly neighbor enjoys it too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Even though it's only a temporary home, it's always nice to brighten it up however you can to make it feel more personal. You did just that with your colorful rug, wreath, and the leaf filled trunk. It all looks homey and lets your neighbors know that you care...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Charlene! Your door looks so pretty! Even inexpensive can look like a million bucks. You did a great job. So festive! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Charlene,What a beautiful fall welcome your door conveys. The wreath is unique and so lovely. I love all your fall...
    xoxo
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails