Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thankful Thursday--Just For the Joy of it!

  • Who can find a virtuous woman? her price is far above rubies
  • She is like the merchants' ships, she bringeth her food from afar
  • She openeth her mouth with wisdom, and in her tongue is the law of kindness

This week I'm thankful for the family meal that we had together last night--just the thought of it brings me joy.

For one thing, it means we're all together as family, for now at least. With a husband who works not only away from home but also out-of-state, and a son who's a senior in college, it's not something we often get to enjoy these days.

Second of all, I'm thankful for the Lord's provision and the heritage He's given of parents who, while both are in their 70's, still enjoy working hard and giving generously to their children. Their hard work in their garden and raising a few hobby beef cows provided every single element on our plate except for one--round steak from their farm raised beef, purple hull peas, tomatoes, and cucumbers from their garden--even the ice-box pickles I'd made using cucumbers from their garden.

Thirdly, I'm thankful for the changes that are being made in my eating habits. I've been off of sugar for just over a month now. I'm staying away from most other junk foods. I ate my meal last night, and I actually had more vegetables on my plate than anything else. (That, for me, is a big deal--I'm generally not a veggie lover!) I'm losing slowly, but still losing. This week I'm down a pound, for a total loss of 25 pounds. I'm happy with that, especially with a travel day thrown in there. I made a 10-hour drive Monday, which used to mean practically non-stop snacking and munching, and although I did eat fast-food twice during the day, I chose as wisely as I could, and had no snacks in-between.

And last but not least, even dessert, which for me was fresh blackberries and wild cherries, picked by my husband from the area around his job site, makes me thankful for my husband. Glad to be back in the same city, under the same roof, eating dinner at the same table. He would like nothing better than to be at home all of the time, but he makes the sacrifice to work "away" in order to provide for his family.

This post is linked to:

Thankful Thursday at Grace Alone

Just for the Joy of It at Good, True, and Beautiful

What makes you thankful and joyful this week?

Until next time...

9 comments:

  1. God bless your dear family, and congrats on your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! Love berries and cherries! That is awesome about your weight loss! :D
    Did you have any negative things happen when you went off sugar?

    Have a great day!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the little things we (I) take for granted. Thank you for sharing you blessings with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family Time is definately worth giving thanks for!!!! CoOngratulations on your lifestyle change. Keep eating healthy! I know it pleases the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your so right! Family time is such an incredible blessing... beyond measure.

    And congrats on the progress with your weight loss too! A pound each week is wonderful! Just think where that will take you in a year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mercy me! What happened to your poor neck?? They wouldn't even let you take it off for your photo?
    You poor thing!
    Congratualtions on your weight loss. I am trying and not doing half as well as you! :)
    God Bless!
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's so much to be thankful for, isn't there? Congratulations on your weight loss. I, too, have changed my eating habits and have lost thirteen and a half pounds over the past four weeks - and that includes a week of vacation away from home. Keep up the good work. It's nice to have it make a difference in how we live and feel and look.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, love family dinners, because it is so hard to have them when you have a large family full of activities! I look forward to Sundays after church when we can be together as a family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Just dropping by to thank you for the comment you left on my Just for the JOY of it post! I'm glad to know that the memories last forever :) I realize how very blessed I am and sometimes KNOW when I'm making a memory that I hope will last forever!

    You have a lot of things to be thankful for! Reading your post made me smile :)

    Blessings,
    Stephanie - Ten Talents
    http://sweetsavingsincolorado.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails