Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Incredible Shrinking Woman

  • Who can find a virtuous woman? her price is far above rubies
  • She is like the merchants' ships, she bringeth her food from afar.
  • She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
  • She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.

For those of you who don't know me IRL--In Real Life--you may not even be aware of the fact that I'm overweight. Overweight by anyone's standard, very much so. It's something I've struggled with for my whole life, literally. I was born weighing 9 lbs 1/2 oz, and from there was a chubby baby, a chubby child, and a chubby teenager. I started dieting on and off in my teens and continued into my young adult years--but at some point I just quit trying. I had a busy, fulfilling life, and besides, I was always one who "carried it well". I was out of shape, but it didn't effect my health--my blood sugar was okay and I had better cholesterol numbers than people half my size.

Fast forward a few years, though, and it really began to catch up with me. Even after my doctor started to talk to me about considering various options, I put off dealing with it, over and over and over.

Not long ago, though, I reached an impasse. I wasn't "carrying it well" anymore. I've known for years now that my health was deteriorating and I was holding myself back from accomplishing things I knew I wanted to do, telling myself that I would do them "after I lose weight." Time was running out, and I knew it--it was now or never.

So, what is a virtuous woman to do?

First of all, I started praying about it. There are so many different diets out there, and even the so-called "experts" disagree about the best way to lose weight and keep it off.

I also started fasting. Oh, my.

But guess what I discovered? Being hungry isn't going to kill me. (And you know I'm not talking about Hunger-with-a-capital-H-starving-people kind of hungry.) But it does make me ashamed at how quickly I reached imaginary I'm-so-hungry-I'm-weak-I'm-going-to-starve-hunger.

But with the grace of God, and much seeking and praying and fasting and cutting out sugar and refined carbs, among other things, the tide is starting to turn.

I've lost 21 pounds so far. My 'fat clothes" are getting looser. I feel better, and I smile more.

I have a long way to go. I still need to incorporate more exercise in my daily and weekly routine. But I am so thankful to the Lord for the strength and the help He's given me, and the support that is continuing to come my way from my family.

This post is linked to:

Thankful Thursday at Women Taking a Stand

Just for the Joy of It at Good, True, and Beautiful

Be sure to visit these sites and see what makes other bloggers thankful and joyful!

Until next time...

6 comments:

  1. Good for you! Best wishes on your weight loss journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank your for what you wrote. It is so good to be reminded that some of us come into the world with the challenge of maintaining a healthy weight. You are courageous and honest...and I bet God honors your humble heart. Blessings to you and your desire to be healthy! (a Christ-follower stopping by from Just for the Joy of it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Charlene! GOOD FOR YOU!

    Behind you, hon! How can I not be after you supported me on my blog, too! I will be praying for your journey in this. God will be right there with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, Wonderful, Praise God and YOU GO GIRL! 21 pounds is a great start. And with the Holy Spirit on your side, I know it's just the start!

    Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies, for your comments of support--it's a long, tough road, but I appreciate every bit of encouragement I get along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are an inspiration to all of us.

    I used to be the skinny one but then I got sick and put on weight which I now hav to lose. I think, I had better follow your blog, very carefully so I can use you as my role model. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails