Wednesday, April 14, 2010

You Know That Spring is Really Here...

  • Who can find a virtuous woman? her price is far above rubies
  • ...with the fruit of her hands she planteth...

(click on pictures to see larger)

You know that spring is really here to stay, at least in the south, when the azaleas are in bloom.

This was the view this morning from my front porch--two beautiful, if a bit overgrown, azaleas. Our house once belonged to my grandparents, and I can remember my mother and my aunt planting these for my grandmother, probably close to 30 years ago.


They're way taller than me, close to 7 or 8 feet tall.

We haven't been here at the right time to trim them back in the last few years, but I sort of like the "wild" look anyway, and they make a good year round bird habitat.

They don't last long, but aren't they pretty while they're here?

This post is linked to:

Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer

Just for the Joy of It at Good, True and Beautiful

And because they are about 30 years old, also to Vintage Thingie Thursday at Colorado Lady

Until next time...

14 comments:

  1. Sigh! I love Azaleas!

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It couldn't possibly be over-grown, it's absolutely gorgeous! What a beautiful view you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I don't think they look overgrown either, but if you decided to trim - do it by hand. In, out, in, out - so they look natural. I can't drive past our last home due to non-gardening buyers who used an electric sheer on my azaleas. :(

    Dropping by from Outdoor Wednesday,
    Allison
    AtticMag

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them growing wild too.We have them in NZ and I posted one taken from someone's garden.

    http://annkschin.blogspot.com/2009/10/good-friends-are-like-azaleas.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the overgrown azaleas! I am not fond of overly clipped and manicured shrubs -- LOVE the wild and wooly look! And they clearly love being free spirits ... look at those blooms!!!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish my azaleas looked like this!! I guess it is because I don't have vintage ones.....but I killed all the others! I have one bush, and it has ONE bud....but it is alive and well!!! Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh,it's just beautiful. To have something so big and full of color..it's just wonderful. Happy VTT, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous!! I want mine to get wild and unruly like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so sweet to have the flowers that were planted for your grandmother. They are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! What a view to look forward to annually! Thanks for sharing @ just for the JOY of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Azaleas are so colorful! Lucky you! Joan @Americana By Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  12. The most beautiful vintage thingies ever! I've never seen such healthy, happy azaleas before. What a wonderful view you have, and it sure must be an amazing way to start each day. It's a shame they don't bloom all summer, isn't it?!
    Happy VTT!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wouldlo e to know the color name of these.

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails