Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Virtuous Woman Plans

  • Who can find a virtuous woman?  her price is far above rubies
  • She looketh well to the ways of her household and eateth not the bread of idleness
Hello again, you virtuous women! I finally get internet back at my house, start doing some blogging, planning some future posts, etc, and then---I disappear for a month!  Let me just say--life got in the way! You may remember me mentioning us having to get our heating and cooling system replace, including moving a closet wall 6 inches.  That turned into a bigger job than we had planned, we ended up having to replace ductwork in the attic, ceiling boxes, and register covers. I had workmen (and woman) in my house for three days, smack in the middle of the house,in and out of rooms, up and down ladders, it was controlled chaos, all of this right as I was trying to gear up for the holidays.  Then came the actual holidays, ready or not.  Next a little family mini-vacation to the city; then came some sickness, and now, I'm finally ready to get back to my planned post--on what subject, you might ask?

Planning, of course!

Last month I wrote about how I was trying to get myself into a new routine, one that accommodated the changes in our lives and our schedules, it just seemed that nothing quite worked. I just could not seem to get myself back on track.

So I started thinking about the times when I was on track,when I was productive and life seemed to flow better. One of the things that I realized about myself, is that if I don't have a plan, I will drift through days or even weeks at a time without accomplishing much of anything at all.

And whether it's a grocery list jotted on the back of a used envelope, or a carefully orchestrated weekly calendar, for me, that means written down.

On paper.

In ink.

You'd think that at this stage in my life I could just wing it and still get it right, still get things done.

U-huh.

Tried that.  Obviously wasn't working.

I've also tried using virtual/electronic calendars, but for me, they don't work well.  For one thing, I never seem to keep everything synced up--phone calendar, kindle calendar, laptop, I have too many options. And for another thing, most of my technology is not the latest and greatest.  I don't have a smart phone and my laptop is eight years old, which makes it a dinosaur.  I used to have a Palm Pilot, which I loved, but even that technology is outdated now.  None of my devices work with any of my other devices.

So I thought about what works for me and what doesn't work for me. and this is what works.

(All of the photos are clickable, which means if you click on them, you can see them larger if you need to)


Three items--a planner-sized calendar, a notebook, and a purse calendar.



For my to-do lists, etc, I like to use a spiral bound 5x7 notebook with lined pages.  These are usually sold as journals. I've been known to buy these 10 at a time when I find them at a good price, which for me is around $2.99 each. Around here that means getting them at a chain discount store that's basically sort of an outlet store, or a chain bookstores when they run them on sale.  I don't buy usually buy them unless there's a deep discount or I have a store coupon, but occasionally I'll find one that I just fall in love with the picture on the cover or the page design, and I'll pay full price.  Just not often!

.I use them as a list-planners and journals, as you'll see in another post later this week. I try to jot a daily "to-do" list on one side, usually the left hand side, as you can see above, then mark things off as I do them, sometime with a check mark, or a line through it, usually both.  And if I do something spontaneous that isn't on my list, I write it down and mark it off as done, as well.  

Yes, I do. 

 Anything left unmarked usually gets transferred to the next day. On the right hand side, I usually jot notes for  outside the house things--errands to do, appointments to make, a grocery list, things to buy from the the Dollar Store, etc.  

I know it sounds weird, but I do my daily lists from front to back, but sometimes I flip to the back and write myself notes about things I need to remember for the long term--that way it doesn't get mixed up with my short term lists.  When my short term lists and long term lists/notes meet, it's time for a new notebook!



My next item is a purse calendar, the size of checkbook.  I'm picky about these, too, even though I write small, I want one with decent sized squares, and I want one with a cover that I like! Right now I'm floundering along with out one of these, my last couple of these were two-year calendars, and I didn't realize I was going to need a new one back in the fall when everyone had calendars everywhere!

Any time I'm out-and-about, if something comes up about a future date, I can add it immediately, or check for conflicts, appointments, etc.  I love my little purse calendars.



And my third item is a larger planner.calendar. This one is about 9 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches, a good size, but not too heavy or bulky.  

First of all is function, of course, but I also want one that's pretty.  I bought this one last fall at Barnes and Noble, I don't remember the price off hand, but it was very reasonable. It's about 9 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches, a good size, but not too heavy or bulky.  I like the little elastic thingy that holds it closed, too, it's easy to slip on and off, but keeps it neat, as well. 


The calendar part is a two page spread, this gives me plenty of room to write.  In the back it has some address book pages and some tear off pages for notes and lists.  No daily/hour by hour pages in this one, that's not something I really need at this season of my life.

And there you have it---the three tools that help me stay on track--if I use them!

My goal for the coming weeks is get back into my planing groove
  • writing things down
  • checking them off
  • using my calendars
  • keeping my calendar and planner syncronized
What do you do to keep yourself organized?

Until next time...

This post is linked to:

Make Your Home Sing Monday at Moms the Word
Treasure Box Tuesday at Memories by the Mile




6 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I don't use anything to keep myself organized, Charlene. After years of be so organized due to our large family and needs, I enjoy not having a to do list. About all I have now days is a post it note on the fridge for a grocery list and a calendar for appointments, that I'm afraid I don't look at often enough and am always surprised when the dentist's office calls to confirm my appointment.

    Bet you're glad to have all the workmen out of your house. It always drives me crazy with all the chaos. It's hard for me to stay out of the way, because I want to clean up as the messes happen. My son and I joke that we have OCD, but maybe it isn't a joke?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much of a schedule anymore, but procrastination seems to be my middle name these days. With so little to do, you'd think it would make it easier to get things done, but the reverse seems to be the rule.

    You're so right about the workmen! They were right in the middle of the house, I had to squeeze past them to go from any one room to any other room. I hated to disturb them so I felt trapped in my own living room! They were pretty good about picking up after themselves, but having everything from my "extra" closet spread all of the house is maddening! The worst part is, it's still there--hubby wanted to remodel/reconfigure the closet while it was empty, and it's still in transition mode as we speak. Between the holidays, work schedule, and other projects that have come up, this one seems to have been shoved to the back burner for a while. I'n about ready to turn the heat up under him to get it back to the front of the line, though, the mess is driving me crazy and making me depressed to look at!

    Have ya'll been hit with any of this terrible winter weather that so many are having? We're having a typical Louisiana winter--cold and dreary interspersed with days in the 60's and low 70's. It;s like last year, we had some cold, then a false early spring that made everything bud out, then it froze again; really wreaked havoc with the fruit trees. I don't mind the cold, but we don't get snow or anything that makes for a pretty winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame about the fruit trees. We are having a blizzard today. No hikes for us today! But the snow is pretty and I always love winter so I can't complain.

      I know about the workers! You feel that you should look busy too. I always say that I get more work done when we have work done on the house. Don't want the contractors to think that all I do all day is sit around and read! So I do things I wouldn't ordinarily do, like polish the silverware and give the furniture a paste wax finish.

      Closets drive me crazy. We only have two in our house and they both are just big enough for the winter coats and not much else. We have to store away our clothes that are out of season and bring them out of the attic as needed. The in-between seasons are really difficult. Every time I watch one of those shows about living in tiny houses, I have to wonder how long before the novelty will wear off and people will want to go back to living in a house with a walk in closet!

      Delete
  3. Pray that you are doing well. Noticed that you haven't posted in a while and was concerned.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, what a dear you are to check on me---it's been a wild and woolly month for me! Not long after this last post, I got sick with what I think was the worst head cold of my life-couldn't breathe, couldn't sleep, I spent about 10 days moving from bed to couch to chair and back again. While I was down for the count, I spent most of my days sleeping, watching mindless television or reading cheap trashy novels on my kindle, lol, couldn't concentrate enough to do anything of any purpose. It took me about another week to get back into a semi-regular routine of going to the gym, cooking, cleaning, etc. Since then I started a lesuire learning class at a university about an hour away from home in the Hebrew alephbet, it's a short term, non-credit class, fun but very intensive. I keep thinking I'll take the time to write again, but so far blogging has just slipped through the cracks.

      How is the weather in your neck of the woods? Two days ago it reached 70 degrees here, then yesterday morning we had snow flurries, so we've still been all of the place. Our poor trees and spring bulbs don't know what to do! Some have already planted their early sping gardens, but we're holding out for real spring!

      How are the plans coming for the guest house? My poor husband started remodeling our extra closet before the holidays and has yet to finish. H's been working lots of overtime, which is great for the check book, but all of our indoor storage from the closet is spread in various places through the house, so it's a mess. He started talking about a new project he wanted to start, but I've put my foot down until he has enough time to finish the closet and I can reclaim my house.

      Thank you so much for checking on me, I hope to get back into the groove soon!

      Delete
  4. Good to read that you are getting better Charlene. Studying Hebrew sounds so interesting. So far there/s no work on the guest house because we can't get to it. There's several feet of snow to trudge through. Oh well! Spring will be here soon enough. We got down the contraption to start our seeds today. Hard to believe that in 6-8 weeks we will be starting our garden!

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails