Monday, June 17, 2013

A Virtuous Woman Takes A Walk in the Garden

  • Who can find a virtuous woman? her price is far above rubies
  • With her hands she planteth a vineyard...
I wish this was my garden, but alas, although I had great plans for putting in a bigger, better garden this year, the weather and my husband's busy schedule conspired and we didn't plant a thing this spring.  Luckily for us, though, my mom and dad still garden on a grand scale, and they are generous to fault with their produce.  They grow enough for themselves as well as extra for friends and family.

Walk with me and let me show you my daddy's pride and joy.


On our way to the garden this early morning, we pass by one of two fig trees...



absolutely loaded down with baby green figs. They'll be ripe just about the time that the rest of the garden plays out, I think.



You can see--much larger than my puny little raised beds!



This end is the main pea patch.  Daddy grows purple hull peas, usually Mississippi pink eye purple hulls.  There were a couple of years that you couldn't get seed for this variety anywhere, but luckily they releases some last year and this year, they're our favorite.



You can see almost every stage of a pea on this one plant--the blooms are white on the first day, then as day wears on, they turn yellow.  Eventually the yellow blooms fall off and the little bud that remains starts of grow a pea.  On purple hulls, they start off little and green, then start to get purple as they fill out.  Once these get closer to ready, I'll show you the finished product.



Aren't the blooms pretty? Not as colorful as an ornamental sweet pea, but lovely and delicate, just the same.



These are green beans--at last count, these four(ish) rows had yielded over 71 quarts of green beans!



And they're still making blooms, which means more beans coming.



These blooms are a slight lavender in color. 
(Do you see the green bean at the bottom of the picture?)




Only one row of squash--and I can't tell you how many squash, we've eaten these mostly fresh, and mom and dad have given away tons of these.


I saw Jaimie Oliver batter and fry squash blossoms on his cooking show once, I've been tempted to try it with some of these pretty yellow blooms.



That's about a half row of zucchini back there, beside my parent's mean guard dog.

(My folks were gone for a couple of days and we were tending to her while they were away.  She was moping and pouting about being at home alone, so I decided to take her riding with me.  I ended up taking her town and buying her a happy meal.  Yes, she is wicked mean.)

This was daddy's first attempt at zucchini, and they were a roaring success.

(The empty rows are where they did have onions and potatoes, they're already gone for this year)



Cucumbers in bloom--they are just starting the yield, first one or two a day, and now by the droves.  If the heat doesn't get them, looks like there will be plenty more to come!


Tomatoes are a little late this year, no red ones just yet in these larger ones...



...or among the grape tomatoes.



These are bell pepper, they have a couple of the plants have one or two baby ones, but there were hiding among the leaves and I couldn't get a clear shot.



And sweet corn growing--do you see what I see, right in the middle?


...one lone ear, just starting to tassel.


And last but not least, a few more rows of peas, just to fill the empty rows to the end. 

I hope you enjoyed my "Garden Tour".  How is your garden growing?

Until next time...

This post is linked to:
Make Your Home Sing Monday at Mom's the Word
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Tuesday Garden Party at An Oregon Cottage
Garden Tuesday at Sidewalk Shoes
Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer
June Garden Party at Elizabeth and Company
Homemaking Party at Hope in Every Season

12 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing Life purposed by God all around us...of if we would but take the time to escape from carnality to seek the Truth of this beautiful witness of God's Love how much more incredible would be our journey! Enjoyed the garden tour....evidence of an amazing God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. Hi Charlene! Wow, what beautiful pictures, and what a delightful garden. Just seeing the pictures was like a breath of sweet country air! I don't have a garden either this year. I can only imagine how fresh and wonderful all those vegetables are going to taste. My friend has a big garden and has promised us some squash, and later in the summer, asian pears. Last year they were so sweet they tasted like candy. I am also hoping to get some fresh peaches this summer. I am longing for a homemade peach pie! Have a lovely day ahead! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made homemade peach pie, but it sounds like it would be delcious. My grandparents used to have pear trees, but they were the big, hard, canning pears--we still ate them, hard as they were! Not as tasty as an asian pear, but we thought they were so good!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed your garden tour, Charlene! The garden is so far ahead of ours up here. Things are just beginning to sprout here, we've had such a cold spring. I just put up my light winter jacket last week! BTW, we had a garage sale with all the de-cluttering you encouraged me to do. An entire driveway full of stuff! It was a huge success and we only had one small bin of things and a bag of books left over at the end of the sale. Which we put at the curb and the local scrap man was happy to take off our hands. One lady bought an entire truckload of stuff.

    PS: I'm hoping to update my blog sometime this week, depending on how many trips to the dentist I have to make this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some strange weather this year, too. It got warm really early, trees budded out, flowers started blooming, and, of course,everyone started their gardens early--then we had really unseasonable cold, stopping everything in it's tracks! And then it flip flopped from warn to cold to warm a couple more times. My dad replanted some of his things three times, and our azaleas never did bloom this year--I think the late freeze froze all of the buds! But we've been in summertime now, unlike you in the north!

      I'm glad you had a successful sale--out in the country here garage sales don't do so well, so I usually just donate my things a little at a time. Glad you were inspired--I still have one major hot-spot to tackle--my whole spare bedroom/office/junk room. Everytime I gear up to do it, my husband starts a new home-improvement project and we end up shuffling everything into that room to make space for him to work. One of these days!

      And I do look forward to your update!

      Delete
  4. Wow! What a beautiful garden. It's amazing how eye-catching the crops we can grow can be. A feast for the eyes and tummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! When I planted a garden a couple of years ago was the first time I really noticed the beauty and intracacies in even the most mundane of vegetables! They are really lovely to look at, as well as delicious to eat!

      Delete
  5. All I can say is "WOW" bountiful garden indeed!! A coworker brought in yellow squash today from his father's garden. My babe is going to cook them up for me! I have NEVER cooked squash! Can you believe that! :)

    I truly enjoyed the pictures!!

    Thanks for visiting and posting to my blog!

    LBDH

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dad is richly blessed! (complete with the "mean" dog..ha...)
    I enjoyed seeing the fig tree too, because I have one that is just 2 years old and is growing like that, I thought something was wrong because it looks more like a bush!
    It is taking over my yard! I am going to read more carefully your blanching on your other blog, I appreciate you teaching us how to do that! (thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, what a garden! I would so love to walk around in it. It's been a while since I saw an actual huge garden like that. I'll bet the produce is amazing. My parents always had a large garden while we were growing up, and I always thought I'd have one too, but alas, it got away from me over the years and now I pretty much just have container tomato plants. But oh, do I love a fresh garden tomato...like candy! Thank you for sharing your parents' beautiful and bountiful garden with us.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your Dad really has a gorgeous garden and quite the green thumb! I bet he will be enjoying a bountiful harvest al summer long!

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails