Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Is That a Zebra Beside the Road?

  • She looketh well..

Do these stripes make my hips look too big?

I live in the country, outside a small town, in a mostly rural area. I put a lot of highway miles on my vehicle, with mostly the same old scenery--pine trees, oak trees, tallow trees, pastures, hay fields--you get the picture. So imagine my surprise one day last year when I was driving past an otherwise ordinary piece of land that just happened to have an extraordinary (for here) tall fence, and glanced over and saw a zebra. Not only that, I saw what was apparently a momma zebra with two baby zebras. Two.

Did I have my camera with me?? Of course not!

Not too long after that, I was driving past and saw them again.  I had a phone with a built-in camera, but it was brand new and I couldn't figure out how to use it.  I pointed to toward them and pushed every button I could find, but couldn't get it work.  Drat!

So I made myself get back in the habit of keeping my camera with me everywhere I went.  No zebras, of course... 


Although I did see these kind of weird looking ducks one day...


...you really need to click on the picture to enlarge it to get the full effect of the red circle around the eye.



But finally I caught them close enough to the fence to get a decent picture!



Unfortunately for the sake of the pictures, they aren't babies anymore!


I know this sounds weird, but when I see an unusual, brightly colored or patterned animal up close, I'm fascinated by how "real" they look! (As in "That zebra looks almost real!")

There's just something about seeing zebras in the piney woods that makes me do a double-take!

What have you seen that's caused you to do a double-take lately?

This post is linked to:

Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer

3 comments:

  1. I forgot my link, sorry

    http://showmeastorie.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I love the photos on your site.

      Delete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails