Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spring Garden--Update, May 3rd



  • Who can find a virtuous woman? her price is far above rubies

  • ...with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard
Just a quick update on the state of my garden and plants. It's not as advanced as I wish it were, but it's definitely coming along. We finally got some rain--everyone else is flooding, but we've had nothing for weeks until we got a little last week and yesterday/last night. No watering today, at least!

On the back porch in my potting area, I have several things started. On the left is some basil I started from seed--they sprouted up a storm, it needs thinning out, but I'm hoping to transplant some of it to the garden. To the right are two hostas, and above to the left what I call a "paint plant"--it looks like it has splashes of paint on a dark green background. The smallest one on the top left is supposed to be rosemary, but so far it just looks like a pot of dirt! The hosta and paint plant will be moved the front porch this week, it doesn't get much direct light, and these two do well in the shade.



This pot will go on the patio next to a carport post, it has a combination of morning glory vines started from seed, and a couple of periwinkles that will bush out and provide shade for the bottom of the vines when they start to get leggy.




These are transplanted New Zealand spinach--an edible vine, the dark green leaves can be used raw or cooked, just like spinach, but it doesn't bolt and keeps growing right up until cold weather. The vine will freeze and die, but it re-seeds all around the original. These are transplants I took from the grass around my mother's last year's vine.





My favorite, these wave petunias have bloomed continuously since I potted them 2 or 3 weeks ago.




Garden bed # 2 has a few cucumbers...




...and a couple of varieties of tomato plants.





My original raised bed from fall is still kind of a "hodge-podge". These are blackberry bushes that I ordered and stuck here to "heel in" during the winter. They'll get transplanted this fall...





...along with these blueberries that looked like sticks when I showed my last update. I thought I had lost a couple of these, they are a couple of different varieties, and some of them budded out a lot later than the others.




This Swiss chard I planted from seed last fall. It froze pretty well over the winter, but I cut it back to just above ground level, and it's come back completely.




Watermelons--in a "normal" garden, these should be 8 feet apart, so I planted these around the edges at one end so that they could vine over into the grass. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!





My lemon tree that I think I lost--but it has some "suckers" coming up from the root, I'm hoping that one or more of these can be grown into a new tree.




Blueberry bush we planted last fall--it's till a baby, but it's making real blueberries!





And blackberries, also planted in the fall--blooms and a few berries have started to form.





And last but not least, "fruit" of the pesky armadillo--they are tearing up my yard! They are truly a pest!


How is your garden coming along?



This post is linked to:



Tuesday Garden Party at an Oregon Cottage




Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer




Until next time...

9 comments:

  1. Here's a link to my friend's organic garden blog, thought you would enjoy it. You can donate my 2 cents to your fav charity. :)
    I'm trying to do a garden this year and this is my second year for my herb garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I forgot to give you the link.
    http://thymesquaregarden.blogspot.com/

    Does this mean I don't get the 2 cents?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The petunias are beautiful! Loving all the pictures and varieties of edible things you have growing!! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    Your garden plants are beautiful! Love that "painted" one. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-roof.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like gardening is in full swing at
    your house. . .
    I can't wait to get my hands dirty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking good Charlene! Our blueberries are just starting to bud out. Looking at your garden is like looking six weeks into the future. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you've been very busy - and lots to show for your efforts too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful garden photos - lovely blog!
    So glad to have found/followed you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. (here from Smockity Frocks): Your garden is looking really good! I haven't had luck with berry bushes but we're in a new house now and I am going to reattempt them this season.

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails