Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Candy Cane Reindeer

  • She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands

Look! It's a reindeer...
No, not there....



THERE!
In fact....
...there's a whole herd of 'em!

Here in the South, we don't have reindeer running around, so we have to make our own.

To make some for yourself, you'll need:
  • candy canes
  • googly eyes
  • green and/or brown chenille sticks
  • little red or black pom poms (I couldn't find the small ones in the colors I needed so I bought a variety pack and picked out the ones I wanted)
  • Glue (I dont use hot glue for these for two reasons--one, the little eyes and noses are so small, I know I'd end up burning my fingers, and two, I'm afraid the hot glue will melt the cellophane on the candy cane. So I use quick dry Tacky Glue, but school glue would probably do just as well)
  • A pen or pencil to form the antlers

  1. Take a chenille stick (I still call them pipe cleaners), fold in half, then twist around the top of the candy cane
  2. Twist each end around a pen or pencil, corkscrew style, to form antlers
  3. Put a drop of glue at the tip and add a pom pom for the nose. Let dry for a few minutes.
  4. Use two small drops of glue and add the eyes.


I think it works better to put the antlers on first--they help to hold the candy cane up off the table while the glue for the nose and eyes has a chance to set. And if I did the features first, I'd probably end up knocking them off while I was working on the antlers.
I personally like the red noses with the green antlers--all Christmas colors and all Rudolph-y, then I do some with black noses with brown antlers--more like a "real" reindeer...

...don't you think?


Look how handsome (s)he looks...

Is this my best side...
...or is it this one?


Come closer.

I'm working on my curl


It's a reindeer maternity ward...



...assembly line style!

Just hanging with my homies...





This post it linked to:

Holly Bloggy Christmas Bash, Christmas Crafts Edition
, hosted by Blue Eyed Blessings
Christmas Post Link-Up
at Southern Domestic Goddess
Penny Pinching Party at The Thrifty Home
DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land


Until next time!

8 comments:

  1. These are so cute! They have such personality! I think this would be a cute one to do with the kids too!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love candy cane reindeer :) Used to make them every year with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember making this when I was little. I still love seeing them. They always make me smile! :) Thanks for making me smile today.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wouldn't be Christmas without candy-cane reindeer. They turned out really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT A SWEET CRAFT, MY KIDS WILL LOVE IT. MERRY CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable! These would be great to embellish a present with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had found this before Christmas..but oh well!!, there's always next year,and I will definately have a flock of reindeer. I just love them..:). Have a wonderful and safe New Year..Blessings..xx CC

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great! Giving your post a pin on Pinterest! Thanks for linking them up to the Holiday Hop of Goodies! http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2012/11/holiday-menu-gingerbread-snack-mix.html

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails