Saturday, November 15, 2008

Walmart--the good, the bad, and the (not) ugly

  • She is like the merchants' ships, she bringeth her food from afar
  • She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.

Today was another major grocery shopping trip for me, and I decided to risk Walmart again, since I was out and about fairly early today. I can't say that it was a mistake, but I'm not sure I'm going to go back to Walmart for my "big" trips again any time soon. They seem to do okay when I have three or four items, but when I have a buggy full, I seem to always have issues!


First of all, Walmart's "low, everyday prices" have been creeping back up on some items. One item in particular that I like to buy from Walmart is Hebrew National weiners. They increased in price at least $1 a pack from last week. Certain grated cheeses are up at least $.50 a package. Some of their prices are still low, but I think I can do as good or better by going to a store that has good sales, doubles coupons up to $.50, but also take competitors coupons.


Secondly, and more importantly, my internet coupons were questioned, again. You can read about the issue I had with this last week here. I politely told the cashier that I had a problem with this at another time, and that I had not only printed a copy of the Walmart corporate coupon policy, I had spoken with a manager at that same store, who confirmed, (after he made some calls himself) that I was correct, and that they would take care of it. At this point, the cashier called a manager, who approved my coupons. The cashier was very polite and aplogetic, and I assured her that I understood that she was only trying to do her job. I think she was concerned that she had not been given the corrected information, and as a matter of fact, she asked to keep the copy of the corporate coupon policy that I had, so she could show some of the other cashiers, which I was happy to let her do.


In the end, I did at least get my groceries this time, and with my coupons(!) I got some good deals on certain items. I will, again, print a copy of the Walmart corporate coupon policy to keep with my coupons. I was able to educate an employee, again, about their own company rules.


That being said, let me tell you about the coupon deals I did make in the end.

1 box Kashi cereal bars, $2.67, less $2Q, net of $.97
4 cans Progesso soup, $1.50 ea, less 2 $1.10/1 Qs, and 1 $1/2, net of $.70 ea
Yoplus yogurt, $2.23, less $1 Q, net of $1.23 for 4, or $.31 ea
2 pkgs Butterball turkey lunch meat, $2.50 ea, less 2 $1 Qs, net of $1.50 ea
3 pkgs Green Giant steamers veggies, $1 ea, less 3 $1 Qs, net = FREE
1 Pillsbury refrigerated Pizza crust, $2.16, less 1 $1.10 Q, net of $1.06
2 Grands biscuits, $1.62 ea, less 2 $1 Qs, net of $.62 ea


The rest of my purchases were things that I seldom have coupons for--ground meat, milk, eggs, bread, etc. I did well on the things I had coupons for, but, again, not sure it's worth it at this point.


One thing I'm thankful for, again, is that I was never rude, never raised my voice, but maintained a calm and pleasant demeanor. I was able to educate an employee, again, on their own policy. I reasured the cashier that I understood she was just trying to do her job. I think I can say that I opened my mouth with kindness (something I've been planning to blog about soon), and spoke with wisdom.


I can't say that this was a terrible trip. I can't say that this was a good trip. It was just a trip!


Hoping you have pleasant shopping this week. Until next time...

__________________________________________

3 comments:

  1. I have been very fortunate to have never had a problem with internet coupons at Walmart. I have been given mean looks and what not, but they always take them. I'm sorry this keeps happening to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got the steamers (several bags) , the soup and the grands too. i love my walmart becuz i don't have the problem that you and so many of the other bloggers have. i carry that corporate policy just in case tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are amazing, I am not sure I could have walked away from all the groceries and hard work! Good for you. I had to read both posts of course!! Just stopping by! Your favorite Redneck Sister, Lisa~

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails