Thursday, April 11, 2013

Vintage Thingie Thursday--Antique Dressing Table

  • Who can find a virtuous woman? her price is far above rubies
  • She looketh well to the ways of her household
It's been a really long time since I've linked anything to Vintage Thingie Thursday at Coloradolady! I've had this dresser for a long time, almost sixteen years, but because it's still in daily use, it tends to be just a bit--"lived with" looking. (A nice way of putting it!)


Before it passed to me, it was my grandmother's who had it as long as I can remember.... 



...and as long as my mother can remember.  


I think it's from the twenties.  Everything on is original, including the hardware and mirror. 



It's definitely seen it's fair share of wear and tear.  I use Old English scratch cover on it periodically, as you can see, I need to work it over again.

Back in the fifties, it was in a house of my grandparents that was moved from one location to another. In those days, they used to keep a glass with water in it on the dresser, to dip their comb in to comb down their little frizzies.  The house made the move, with the dresser in it, and was set up at the new location, and went they went inside, they realized the glass of water had made the move, too, and without spilling a drop!

Until next time...

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful treasure you have in that vintage dresser. I remember them and wish I had kept one of ours. When you are young, things like this never crosses your mind. Definitely a real keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few other things that I wish I'd kept over the years, too, but at least I have this one!

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Charlene

      Delete
  2. Nice! I used to have a dresser like that when I was in my teens. I think it came from my grandparent's farm also. One day I got the brilliant idea to rearrange my bedroom and cracked that big round mirror. Was my mother ever mad! Wish I had it today. There's something so sweet and nostalgic about those dressers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes about how many of the women in my family have fixed their hair (or had it fixed) in front of that mirror, and it does bring back a lot of memories!

      Delete
  3. It's gorgeous!! We had one similar when i was a kid, and now I wish i could go back and get it. We left it behind when we moved. your memories give it true beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my dressing table, and yes, I do think often of the people who were once associated with it!

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Charlene

      Delete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails