Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Heart of Her Husband

  • Who can find a virtuous woman? her price is far above rubies
  • The heart of her husband doeth safely trust in her, and he hath no need for spoil
  • She openeth her mouth with wisdom...

As I write this, I know that bright and early in the morning I'll be headed out, driving back home to Louisiana after spending the weekend in Texas with my husband. He's been here since right after we left Georgia in September, and hasn't been able to come home, even for a weekend, in over a month now.

It's hard holding down the home front while he's away, and I have a tendency to think sometimes that I have the worst end of the deal. This weekend reminds me, though that I have so much more to be thankful about than I ever give credit for. It's hard being alone in a town where you don't know anyone else. He is a much worse homebody than I am, and would like nothing better than to be home, working some where local, mowing the grass on the weekends and changing the oil in the trucks. Home is where his heart is, and if he had his way, that's where he would be. Instead, he works a job that keeps him on the road 95% of the time, all to be able to make a decent living and take care of the needs and wants of his family.

I leave here with a renewed resolution to do whatever it takes to make it easier on him. No more complaining. No more gripe sessions. No more pity parties. It's time to step up and be a virtuous woman--a chayil woman--a woman of strength and valour.

Not that I have it in me to be those things--but I was thinking again about the verse in II Corinthians 12:9, And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (emphasis added).

I can't do it in myself--be those things. Strong. Full of valour. Virtuous. But when I give God my weakness, His strength is make perfect in weakness.

I can't. But He can.

And then the heart of my husband can safely trust in me.

Until next time...


This post is linked to:

Making My Home Sing Monday at Mom's the Word


3 comments:

  1. "I can't. But He can." I love that!

    It IS hard for them to be away and to have them away. Long ago my hubby had a job in which he'd fly out on Monday and return home on Thursday.

    The kids were little then and yes, it was hard to be a "single" parent. Especially if something went wrong around the house.

    I'll bet you can totally sympathize with a military wife, can't you? I know one blogger whose hubby is NOT a military wife but he took a job in another country and he'll be gone for one whole year.

    She is doing exactly what you're doing and just trying to trust the Lord and make the best of it. Thanks for encouraging us all today!

    Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your situation sounds so hard, but I am thankful you are discovering nothing is too hard for the Lord. My husband also traveled for work, during the years where we lived in ND out in the country and I had five little ones. If anything ever went wrong, it went wrong when he was gone. But, I, too, found strength in the Lord and rose to the challenge. I do not look back at those years as horrible years, because I found the presence of the Lord gave me help and comfort in the absence of my husband. May the Lord continue to speak to you as you seek Him to make it through this time of separation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! My heart breaks for the two of you! But you are so right what we cannot do our Lord can and so wants to do for us...in us. I rely on Him to transform my thinking throughout the day...when I don't...I don't like how my attitude can become if I am not careful. You are right on with your desire and what a blessing to have some special time with your hubby! I am so glad you did! I will be keeping you guys in my prayers...

    Visiting from Moms the Word

    Blessings,

    Mary Joy

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails