Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Make Hay While the Sun Shines

Do you know what this is?

Some of you country girls may recognize it...
Can you tell now?
It's a barn full of hay bales, but it's so much more.

That's my Daddy there on the tractor...


heading back to unload another bale.


And you can't see her, but that's my Momma driving the truck.



Daddy has always kept a few cows, at least ever since we moved to the country when I was a girl.


They built a house next door to my Nanny and Papa, and I became a country girl for the first time in my young life.



Last year he sold off a lot of his herd, it's just getting to be too much to keep up with these days.


But he still keeps a few, just because he loves doing it.




It's a lot of work, that's for sure.


But I think he secretly enjoys it.



Momma helps, too--driving the truck, or getting out and opening and closing the gates for Daddy when he drives.



It takes a lot of trips back and forth to the hay meadow to haul in enough hay for the winter months.


Even their Lady girl likes to go along.



I saw them last week, making trip after trip out to the hay meadow and back again...



and then Daddy made trip after trip between the truck and trailer and the barn.


Momma and I were standing in the shade while Daddy finished up.


I love my Mom and Dad, and they love me, too.


I thought about that last night, when I took a piece of good lean home raised beef out of the freezer and cooked it for my supper.
Beef Love. It's what's for dinner.
Thanks, Mom and Dad.
Until next time...
This post is linked to:
Just for the Joy of It at Good, True, and Beautiful
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Finer Things Friday at The Finer Things in Life
Tuesday Garden Party at An Oregon Cottage

Three or More Tuesday at the Gypsy's Corner
Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer

4 comments:

  1. Your pics and post reminds me of my DH who loves the hayfield, while I try to think of reasons to miss it. I'm new to blogging and can't figure out how to "follow" yours. visit me at wanna be vintage. blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one farm girl to another, cherish the days. The pictures are great and will be even more in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love is what's for supper! And lots of sweet memories as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are so lovely. I especially like the tractor. Don loves John Deere himself....lol...

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails