Saturday, June 12, 2010

New Thrift Shop Finds

  • Who can find a virtuous woman? her price is far above rubies
  • She is like the merchant's ships, she bringeth her food (and other things!) from afar

Today was our first Saturday back in Columbus. The heat is horrendous this week--temperatures in the mid- to high-nineties and a heat index of at least 100 (trust me, it felt like 115 to me!) but we braved the oven-like temperatures and hit a couple of thrift stores.

The first place we stopped was new one for us--Southern Storage and Thrift Market on Armour Road, between Britt David Road and Airport Boulevard. We saw a couple of commercials for it and decided to give it a try.

I was a little apprehensive when we walked through the door and were directed to a side door into the big warehouse-like area--did I mention that it's been HOT here this week? But we bravely pressed on for the sake of whatever hidden treasures we might discover! And hidden treasures did we find! They had a couple dozen booths with a variety of items, from clothes and household goodies to furniture--and can you believe, a pretty decent selection of leather saddles near the back!

Never mind the saddles, though, this is what I found:


This beautiful china cake plate with matching server, still in it's original box, $6.00. The plate has a little gold sticker on the back marked "Andrea, by Sadek, made in Japan". (I looked this up on the internet, these sets retail for about $25.00) I have a set like this at home that's a different pattern that I use for special occasions. Isn't this one pretty?

The next thing I found was this copper-colored aluminum tumbler with lid for $3.00. Know what it is? A milk-shake shaker!

The bottom holds up to 2 cups of ingredients, then you put the top on and shake it. It reminds me of the aluminum pitcher and tumbler sets that I remember from the 60's--not sure if they were from the 50's or 60's, but I remember drinking from those cold, cold, aluminum tumblers. My grandma used to make home-made root-beer in one of those pitchers, that stuff would get ice-cold! I'm sure this is from the same time period.

There were a few other items that I looked at with interest, but by this time I thought was going to melt, so I headed toward the front to check-out in air-conditioned comfort--and bless their hearts, they had a table near the entrance where they were giving away FREE ice-cold bottles of water! What a life-saver!

The next place we ventured was an old favorite, the Valley Rescue Mission Thrift store on Second Street, just a block away from the original Valley Rescue Mission. They have a good turnover of items of all kinds, both new and used, so you never know what you may find, and it supports a good cause, as well. AND, it's air-conditioned. Yay!

Today I brought home this:

It's a tin-plated cast-iron tortilla press, still in it's original box, for $5.00. (I found this exact tortilla press online for $19.99--so this was a 75% savings over buying a new one--woot woot!) I've seriously been wanting to learn to make my own tortillas, but I'm not very good at rolling out pastry of any kind. This makes it easy to have really thin tortillas without using a rolling pin.

Just open it up, put your ball of dough between some wax paper or plastic wrap...

Close the top....

then crank the handle over and voila' ! Ready to toss into your skillet. I'll let you know how they turn out!

What thrifty treasures have you found this week?


Until next time...

This post is linked to:

Today's Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality

Vintage Thingie Thursday at Colorado Lady

Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville

25 comments:

  1. I love bargain hunting - sadly we don't have many places to visit where I live. I quite often visit eBay to find something cheap and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found some great things again today. I love the cake plate and server and the metal shaker brings back memories - except I can't remember who in my past had one. Maybe my grandma! The tortilla maker should be a great tool for you. Please share your process when you try your hand - we'd love to know it goes.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what great treasures you found! I love the hunt :-)

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds! I love the milkshake shaker! I've been considering a tortilla press but haven't invested in one yet - your find was fabulous!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some awesome treasures here...hop over and show them off at my party...hope to see you there!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great deal on the Sadek. I buy accessories for our furniture store and we used to carry a lot of Sadek items. Wholesale cost is nowhere near $6.00! You have a wonderful vintage find in the shaker, too.
    Have fun making tortillas. I roll them out the old fashioned way so I can control the thickness. I like my flour tortillas thicker than the commercially made ones. They aren't perfectly round, though! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the copper tumbler, such fun finds! I grew up making tortillas but we didn’t use the press. I recommend putting some wax paper between each piece when you use it because the corn tortillas will stick to it! Additionally, corn tortillas are very delicate so be careful! Cute blog, I shall follow for more thrifty fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds! This heat is terrible, isn't it? Love the cake plate and server.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though it was too hot, you were lucky to find such hot items. We have had metal shaker like that, and I have seen the tortilla maker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you scored some great finds this week! Love that tortilla press, please do let us know how yours turn out when you make them! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finds!!! I love the milkshake maker, and the tortilla press is a great find too! Make yourself a milkshake and enjoy the coolness of it!!! It has been hot here too, I am already complaining!! Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen a decorated cake server like that. I have some ceramic cats that are Andrea by Sadek.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to have an identical tortilla press in the '70's when we lived in Germany & couldn't buy tortillas for our Mexican food. Guess I gave it away when we returned to the USA & found tortillas in the store!

    ReplyDelete
  14. $6 cake plate! wow that is awesome! and the milkshake and tortilla iron press are just super cool vintagey items! love them all! happy VTT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting finds! Love the milkshake shaker and the tortilla press means you can make corn tortillas! ( I do make flour ones that I can just roll out but corn ones escape me!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had no idea it was a milkshake shaker! How cool is that?

    Love your other finds as well, it's always nice to find good deals...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great finds! I have never seen a tortilla press before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some very nice finds - and useful too.
    There is a big citywide sale this weekend not far from me...and my van is in the shop! There goes my way around AND all my money. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my!!!!!!!!! What great finds. I would so love to have found the cake plate and server..the pattern is just gorgeous...and I love the tortilla press. And the milkshake shaker...what a sweet find. Back in the day, we had a set of aluminum ice tea tumblers. They were in the mots beautiful jewel like colors.. I remember the strange shade of blue, pink and greem,..and you're right. They kept your drink so frosty cold.
    Have a happy VTT..and a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such wonderful finds! I love the cake plate and server. The milk shake shaker is cool. I remember drinking out of those aluminum tumblers at grandma's house in the 60s too! I love the tortilla press. First I thought it cooked them too, glad you explained that! Have fun with your new things!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your milkshake shaker - I seem to remember my mom having one when I was growing up. Thanks for the memories of summers long ago!

    I've always wanted to make homemade tortillas, enjoy the press!

    Happy VTT,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  22. You scored big , with great bargains. I really love the cake plate. I have a couple of those cake plates I found for nearly nothing at yard sales. I was glad to hear what they originally cost. Now I know I got an extremely good deal on the ones I have!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, you found some AWESOME things!! That cake server sets is just gorgeous! And the tortilla press is fantastic! I have been looking for a "thrifty" priced one myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OK I love these finds! I would have loved that cake set, its adorable!
    I'm now following you and would like to extend the invitation to become a FOLLOWER on my blog as well.
    Hope to see you tere,
    Terry

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails