Monday, June 21, 2010

More "New" Thrift Shop Finds

Last week as I was driving the traffic was heavy and I couldn't change lanes in time to make a turn, and ended up a couple of blocks off of my usual route. It's a road I've been on before lots of time, but not since I've been back in Columbus the last couple of weeks.

And I spotted--you guessed it, another new thrift mall! It's called Joey's Thrift Mall, on the corner of Wynton Road and 10th Avenue--on the corner where 11th Street makes that little "jig" and goes under the railroad tracks, then you come out of the "tunnel", make another little "jig", then suddenly 11th Street becomes Wynton Road. The thrift place is the large tan brick building that used to be a storage facility.

The intersection was too busy for me to turn across traffic right then, but I told my husband about it and we went back on Saturday to check it out.

We parked on the north side of the building, off of Wynton. That end of the building was apparently a self-storage facility. There were lots of booth, but it's not air conditioned in that part of the building. Just as I thought I was ready to run back out to the truck, I turned the corner--and into paradise---rooms and rooms of booths in the climate controlled area! Yay!

They have everything--from gently-used household goods to new items, to antiques, and everything in-between--including some pure junk, can I get a witness? Everything I looked at I kept thinking that I would need to haul it home to Louisiana in a couple of months, so I kept myself pretty much in check for the most part, but it definitely warrants another (slower) look-see.

This was my item of choice...


...a CamGear tripod, $5.00, adjustable in a multitude of ways. I was really excited about this find...

...until I got it home and discovered that my camera doesn't just slide into the slot on top like I thought it would. Drat. Oh, well, this will end up donated to the Valley Rescue Mission Thrift Store before I leave, unless I think of another use for it, or find someone who has a camera that this will fit.

Hubby found this gem--a Stanley stainless steel vacuum bottle, in excellent shape, $5.00...

...still with the original stopper and cup. These run $25.00-$40.00 for a new one, and I don't think they make this particular style anymore, with the full stainless exterior and no handle. He used to have one of the green ones with the handle--they are practically indestructible, but he did manage to destroy his after a few years of use--I think it got run over by a truck(!). I have a feeling that this vintage version will be around for a while, though.

What pretty and useful things have you found lately?

Until next time...
This post is linked to:
Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality
2nd Time Around at A Picture is Worth a 1000 Words
Nifty Thrifty at Coastal Charm

6 comments:

  1. Hi Charlene,
    Thanks for coming by my place.

    Fun how we all like different things isn't it?
    And good thing, or we'd all be fightin' over the same stuff! =)

    Hard not to shop even when moving isn't it?

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far I have not let the heat dissway me from a good thrift hunt. On a couple days it has made sellers want to quit early, but the thrill keeps me going.
    I am happy you found air conditioned paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be able to find an accessory that either fits onto the tri-pod or on the bottom of your camera to make it work. You should be able to find something at WalMart, but if not, than at the camera shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a great collection of thermoses. They make great decorations. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlene, You have a nice Collection of Treasures. I love your Rush Pictures! I am a follower. Warm Regards, Sylvia from Texas.

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails