Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Valley Rescue Mission Thrift Store Finds

  • She is like the merchant's ships, she bringeth her food (and other things!) from afar
  • She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy


(to see this or any of the pictures up close, you can click on the picture, then use the "back" arrow on your browser to come back here)

One of my favorite thrift stores in the Columbus Area is the Valley Rescue Mission Thrift Store. Besides having a wide variety of goodies to see and buy (and their merchandise has a pretty good turnover), I know the money I spend goes to support a good cause.

Living in a furnished corporate apartment while we're in Georgia, I certainly don't need any furniture, but that doesn't stop me from looking when I spot a pretty piece.

I thought I was in love with this dresser when I spotted it. It was in good shape for it's age--some of these old pieces look good until you open the drawers, then you can see the real wear and tear on them. I think it was around $100, and I was really hankering for it, until I saw these two pieces...
I have a dresser very similar to this at home, except that on mine the center area is more "dropped" than this. What I don't have at home though..

...is the matching chiffrobe, and in almost perfect condition.


The tall door swings open for hanging clothes, and it has a smaller "cubby" sized space on the right and three drawers underneath.


The inside was pretty clean, the dovetailing at the edges where the drawer fronts attach seemed to be all intact, and the handles and hardware appear to be original.

Somebody put the drawers back in wrong, one of these is for the left side, one is a right side, but that's easily fixed.

I love, love, love the curved edges on these art deco pieces...


As well as the detailing in the wood veneers. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say these are from the 1920's, pre-depression era.


There's some damage on the bottom inside of the dressing table...


But the price is right at $225 for both pieces.

If I had room for these, I would be taking them with me on my next trip home. A little Murphy's Oil Soap and some Old Enlish scratch cover, these two would be as good as new.

This post is linked to:

Vintage Thingie Thursday
at Coloradolady
Thrifty Thursday at Tales of Bloggeritaville

What vintage and thrifty finds have you spotted lately?

Until next time...

16 comments:

  1. Oh those must have been so hard to resist. Hope you find them again when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what great finds! I agree it would be hard to resist those treasures.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is awesome to find such sweet deals in thrift shops. Even if they are a little more than I would put into them...stil you know it's a good price when you see it. And I love your verse references at the top!! :-) Proverbs 31 woman....sigh...such an inspiration, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been a sucker for dressing tables. Both of my grandmothers has one and I spent hours in front of their mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, all that furniture is very vintage. I have seen and had one just like them. That sounds like a real good price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good find! Those pieces are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right, these are beautiful pieces, I too have a short amount of room for any new things, but I have a hard time leaving a great piece like these behind...maybe that is why I am out of room!!! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the same dressing table as you said you have but, mine too is dropped more in the center. I have the matching dresser as well. They were my grandparents furniture and nobody in our family wanted them except me. I LOVE the whole art deco style and the pieces are in good condition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are amazing pieces of furniture, and I wish more people knew to look at thrift stores for these beauties! I especially love that chiffrobe. Imagine all of the storage!
    Happy VTT!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your new pieces!!! Thanks for sharing today. Thank you also for linking up to Thrifty Thursday!
    ~Hugs~
    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville
    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charming old pieces.Too bad they are so far from home.............

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the round mirror on that deco dressing table!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love old furnitures.. they are made for last.. very sturdy and always look good when mix & match with new ones.. love the dressing table with round mirror.. my late grandparents had the same table.. thanks for sharing.. happy belated VTT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Charlene! Those are beautiful pieces - thanks for letting us go window shopping with you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have almost that EXACT chiffrobe. It was my sisters husbands mothers and is quite old...I keep it in the corner of my diningroom to hold linens, extra pots and pans and those extras like my whirlybird popcorn maker and cookie press, that dont fit anywhere in my kitchen..I could have bought new diningroom accessories to go with my new table, but the old ones have just so much more character. btw, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi - new to your blog - I love second hand stores and can spend ages wandering about and trying not to be tempered!! Old furniture has such character and could probably tell a good story or two. I also love old books - they have such a wonderful smell:)

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails