Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Whatever Happened to the Twelve Days of Christmas?

  • She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
  • She looketh well to the ways of her household
It's almost time to pack up the Christmas decorations, but I for one am not ready for it yet.
Back in the "olden days", the "Twelve Days of Christmas" was more than just a song--Advent may have started the four Sundays that preceded Christmas, but the actual season of Christmas ran from Christmas Day through Twelfth Night--January 5th, the day before the Feast of the Epiphany on January 6th. The tree and decorations went up on Christmas Eve and was taken down around the 6th.
These days trees and decorations go up the weekend after Thanksgiving, if not before, and by Christmas everyone is tired of looking at them. Maybe because I didn't get home until a week before Christmas, but I feel a little bit like I missed part of the season this year. My sweet son hung one of my wreaths and put some lights up on the porch railing, and got out all of our nativity sets before I got home, so things would look a little festive when we got there. He put the tree up and helped me decorate it around the 22nd or 23rd, so I got to enjoy it for a few days, but the time to pack it all up again and get the house back to "normal" before we leave is rapidly approaching, and I'm sure I'm ready yet.
In the meantime, let me share with you some of my favorite decorations from home...
 This is my newest nativity set--I should have put something next to it so you could see how tiny it really is--the stable is probably 3 inches high, the tallest of the figures maybe 1 1/2 inches. I think I bought this at Walgreens a couple of years ago.
This is an ornament of the three wise men--can't remember where it came from, we've had it for a couple of years.
This little cutie a Merry Miniatures set that came from Hallmark about 20 years ago


This is another favorite, we bought this at the Christmas Store at North Pole, Alaska three years ago.



I bought this glass set through the mail about 18 years ago, it's another inexpensive set.

Can't remember about this one

This one has a place in the back for a tea light candle

And last but not least, another of my favorites, these range in size from about two to eight inches tall. One of these days I'm going to make a stable setting to place these pieces in.
Hoping you enjoyed this little glimpse of a few of my favorite home decorations of the season. I should be back to more regular posting in another day or two.
Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I loved seeing your Nativity sets. A friend of mine collects vintage Nativity sets and she has some real special ones she finds at thrift stores and garage sales. I just have one set but I think I'd like to add more - since that is what Christmas is all about! ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails