Monday, October 26, 2009

Cooking From the Pantry

  • She is like the merchant's ships, she bringeth her food from afar
  • She rises while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens
  • She looketh well to the ways of her household

Last week I posted a recipe and linked to the Pantry Party at The Thrifty Countrywoman. This week she has a really good post about her challenge to herself to feed herself and her husband using the budget they had when they first married--$17.50 a week!

Now I didn't do anything nearly that dramatic, but as I already mentioned, we are working on tightening our budget and really holding ourselves accountable to stick to it, which I thought I was already doing, but discovered that I'd been nickel and diming (or more realistically, $5 & $10) myself right outside the boundaries I set each week. Last payday we made a concerted effort to set an amount and stick to it--we drew out what we wanted to spend for the next two weeks and put it in envelopes, which we labeled--gas, groceries, etc. As we spent, we put the receipts inside the envelope and kept a decreasing running total on the outside of how much we had left to spend.

Let me tell you, knowing that you have only $xx.xx amount left to spend on groceries will stop you in your tracks when you start cooking and decide you need to run to the store for "just one or two more items". As a result, I've been creative and much more serious about using what I have on hand in my pantry, fridge, and freezer. And to make it even more challenging, we've only been back in Georgia about three weeks, so my stockpile is not what it usually is.

And yet....we ate quite well, with just a little forethought and planning.

Day 1, I baked some chicken--boneless skinless thighs with a little lemon-pepper seasoning. We had this with some oven roasted asparagus, peas from my parents garden this summer (via the freezer) some leftover mashed potatoes that I had in the fridge.

Day 2, Tacos--1 lb of hamburger meat, seasoned with a packet of taco seasoning, taco shells, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers. I forgot to buy grated cheese last week, so we used sliced American cheese that I had on hand.

Day 3, Baked chicken again, along with the leftover asparagus and peas, and some au gratin potatoes (nothing exciting, I admit it, these were from a box that I got on sale for about $.40 (with a coupon, of course!)

Day 4, I cooked a package of pinto beans, adding the leftover taco meat. Because I'm from Louisiana and we eat everything over rice, I made some rice and a pan of cornbread.

Day 5, Leftover beans and rice and cornbread

Day 6, I made chili with 1 lb of hamburger, 3 small cans of tomato sauce, chili seasoning, and the rest of the pinto beans. We ate this also over rice, and the last of the cornbread.

Day 7, We had chili dogs, using the leftover chili from the day before

And for a treat this past week, I made the Crumb Cake recipe that I got from the pantry party last week! It was delicious, and from basic ingredients, so I can make it again anytime I need a little lagniappe to round out my menu.

This week's menu holds smothered round steak, baked chicken, and stove-top barbecue, breakfast for dinner and probably hot dogs again for the weekend--and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can come up for that little something extra!

This post is linked to:

Meal Plan Monday at I'm an Organizing Junkie

Penny Pinching Party at The Thrifty Home

Frugal Friday at Life as Mom

Until next time...

6 comments:

  1. I bet you had fun being resourceful too! The money in the envelopes is really a great way to do it. Probably when we started using debit and credit cards , society stopped being mindful of their spending. Nothing like seeing your last dollar in your wallet, to tell you to make do!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was doing really well with this, then over the summer things got busy and we started using the debit card more and more. I am trying to get back on track! Thanks for the inspiration! I stumbled this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing what other people are making for dinner; It inspires me and helps me get out of my rut. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!

    Cooking form the pantry is such a normal thing for me. If I don't have the ingredients, I don't make that dish; I make something else, instead.

    To help myself, I wrote up 2 weeks worth of meals using only shelf-friendly items that I have in my pantry. I also wrote a month's worth of menus for each season, using pantry items and things from my garden, and including a few things from the freezer and fridge.

    These menus help me to see what I can make, inclduing side dishes, when I can't go to the store. Due the nature of my husband's work, that can come at any time for us, and I never know how long it will last.

    If you can write a couple weeks worth of menus for youself using items you usually have on hand, it can really help you plan your meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post and the menu sounds wonderful. So often magazine articles on thrift and menu planning suggest some really awful dishes. Yours sounds reasonable and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article here and the tips are very comprehensive. For sure many entrepreneurs with small and big businesses are going to benefit from this. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails