Saturday, June 29, 2013

Picking and Shelling Peas

  • Who can find a virtuous woman? her price is far above rubies
  • She is like the merchant's ships, she bringeth her food from afar
  • With her hands she planteth a vineyard
A couple of weeks ago I showed ya'll my parent's garden. Then last week, I had a post on my food blog about how to put up peas for the freezer--blanching, shocking, bagging, the whole nine yards. 



This week, I want to show you the in-between. How to go from this...




...to this!





You start by picking the purple and turning-purple peas....this is my mom showing off her bucket.  (As I mentioned in my post on getting them ready for the freezer, she has threatened me if I show her face.)




Daddy always keeps a big tub at the end of the row to dump your bucket into.  When it gets filled, he just brings another tub.



Once all of the peas are picked, the next step is double washing of the peas still in the pods.  My folks have a double sink installed in their garden shed just for the purpose of washing vegetables. 



Sometimes Mom likes to speed up the process by using the garden hose to fill the dishpans up faster.



First one side, then the other.



The peas get swished around in one pan of water...




...then again on the second side.  It gets off the dirt, bugs, dried blooms, etc, and makes for a cleaner process once they're shelled.



In the olden days, when I was a girl, I can remember sitting outside under the trees, shelling peas by hand with my mother, grandmother, and anybody and everybody they could press into service.  Your fingers turn purple and your thumb gets sore from using your thumbnail to pierce the shell (pod) and start it separating.  It was a long, drawn out process when you garden on the scale my parents and grandparents have always done. 

These days, though, my mom and dad use a pea sheller.  I can't remember when they first got this, but I know it;s probably close to 25 years old.  The motor turns a belt attached to rollers that kind of "squish" the peas out of the hulls.


One person can operate the pea sheller, but it really works fast if you have two people, one on each side, feeding the peas through.



You take a few peas from the stack and feed the ends under the guard, where they're grabbed by the rollers.





The peas come out underneath, here....





...and the hulls come out the front, where later on they'll be fed to the cows. (Did you know that you can't feed butterbean hulls to cows, because of the little sharp ends?  But the cows like pea hulls, and they're safe for the cows, too.)



All of this happens while being watched over by their mean guard dog. 



And last, but not least, Daddy weighs the shelled peas on this old scale.  (The scale came out of the country store that my paternal grandparents owned and ran for years.) (By his calculations and experience,  a bushel of purple hulls peas-in-the-pod comes out to 9 pounds of shelled peas.)

So how is your garden growing?

Until next time... 

This post is linked to:
The Creative Home Acre Blog Hop at A Cultivated Nest
Make Your Home Sing Monday at Mom's the Word
Clever Chicks Blog Hop at The Chicken Chick
Garden Tuesday at Sidewalk Shoes
Bloomin' Tuesday at Ms Green Thumb Jean
Tackle It Tuesday at 5 Minutes for Mom
Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer

11 comments:

  1. That was so interesting. (And the dog so cute)!
    I like your mom...I would be the same..ha.
    You are lucky to have your parents. The Virtuous Woman Bible verse is so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tease about their dog being a mean guard dog--she's very laid back, and seldom even barks. I am blessed with my parents, that's for sure!

      Thanks for "visiting".

      Delete
  2. Lot of hard work there! Interesting series of shots, very elaborate and detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pea sheller sure speds up the work, but I miss the family conversations as we sat on the porch shelling peas. Once in an election year, a man came by who was running for a local office. He sat down and shelled peas with us - yes, he got our vote!
    Now I have just a small garden. Generally we eat what we grow the same day we pick it.
    Happy gardening!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for linking up! I loved reading about this process and I love the sink in the garden shed, that's genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my favorite... purple hull peas!! As hard as I try I can not cook them as good as my sister does. And, we live hundreds of miles apart. I guess you know I don't get good peas often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They have the same kind of helping dog I have. Loved this. I felt like I was right on the farm with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That pea sheller looks like it saves a lot of time {and a lot of thumbs}, Charlene!

    Thanks for linking up to The Creative HomeAcre blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning! I have featured YOU today on the creative HomeAcre Hop!!!
    Hope to see you again!

    http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2013/07/welcome-to-another-creative-homeacre-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all the great pictures of your shelling pea process. Those peas are going to be wonderful eating during the winter months. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, everyone, for all of the kind comments--I've been a little out-of-pocket this week, hence the lack of individual replies.

    Thanks for visiting, and especially for the comments!

    Charlene

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails