Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Thrifty Thursday--Bake Sale and Freebie Find

  • She is like the merchant's ships, she bringeth her food (and other things!) from afar
  • She looketh well to the ways of her household

I have a confession to make. This is the real reason I started thrifting last year. Backhome Collections, a thrift store in small town DeRidder, Louisiana, has a bake sale once a month. (This is the same store where I buy stone-ground cornmeal.) It lasts for three days, and runs the first full Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of each month. The ladies from the local Mennonite church do the cooking and baking. They offer everything from cream pies with real meringue, to cakes, cookies, breads, and even casseroles.

This past weekend, my thrifty finds were a wonderful chocolate cream pie; a small "sampler" size Italian cream cake; Amish cinnamon friendship bread; and half a dozen butterhorn rolls. It may have not been the thriftiest shopping I've ever done there, but it was surely among the most delicious!

But to balance out my "un-thrifty" choices, let me show you the latest "freebie" my husband found next to the dumpster at our apartment complex in Georgia...


This after my son unloaded it at home in Louisiana. It's not vintage...

...and it definitely needs some work...

...but doesn't it have potential?

For now it has a home out in the shed while I decide what to do with it and where to put it.

But now I have a question for you Do you trash pick? Dumpster dive? I don't think we've ever actually gotten into a dumpster, but one of the advantages of living in an apartment complex is that folks put things they don't need or want that may still have some "life" left in them, beside the dumpster instead of in it.

My husband travels a lot with his job. Not in the traditional "business trip" type of travel, because he often stays in one location for months at a time, and he usually lives in a furnished corporate apartment. Sometimes I get to go with him, sometimes not. Every apartment we've ever lived in has a different definition of what constitutes "furnished", so we frequently supplement with our own things, or things we buy.

Or trash pick.

When we were in Alaska, we trash-picked a small chest-of-drawers. There were two, one of which was completely in pieces. The other one needed a couple of nails and some wood glue and it was as good as new. We put it back out when we left, and someone else snatched it up.

My husband's co-worker trash-picked several bicycles, then combined them to make good little bikes that he gave to the neighborhood kids.

We've trash picked a queen sized bedframe where we are now. It was better than the "furnished" one we were sleeping on, so we took it down and use the trash-picked one for now. (When we leave, we're changing them back and taking the "found" one with us.)

And now we have a headboard and foot board to go with it. And I proudly stand and say--"My name is Charlene, and I'm a trash picker."

This post is linked to:

Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville
Today's Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality
Until next time...

13 comments:

  1. Hi Charlene! Nice to meet you! We have a huge flea market that we go to, and it's about a 40 min drive.
    They also have a huge room, with all kinds of Amish goodies! I love the apple fritters they make! Nice headboard that you found. yes, I too have picked in the trash. I once found the cutest little cart stand that was all rusted. I brought it home, and hubby scrubbed it with a wire brush. We painted it with white rustoleum paint, and it is soooo cute in my cottage living room!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job!!! So creative! I love that headboard, what a steal!!! I am your newest follower!
    Bonnie
    http://creatingahouseofgrace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. you'd better believe i trash pick if the pickin's good! lol
    i have gotten a very nice side able that way as well as getting 2 teacarts that my neighbor didn't want anymore! a few other things as well.
    you'll have to post pics when you get the headboard dolled up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guilty. and I have found some awesome things! Your bed is a wonderful example of what is out there if you just look. Great job! And FREEEEEE!
    Wish I lived close to you so I could take advantage of the bake sale!!!
    Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday this week! Hope you have had a chance to enter the giveaway.

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    HUGS!
    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville
    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bed your hubby found! It's the kind of thing I'm looking for to go in my guest room - guess I'll have to keep checking the sidewalks on garbage days!

    Once a year our garbage company has a free haul-away day and the days for different parts of town are different, all spread through the week. My sweetheart 'cruises' around town in the evening every day to see what is being put out. He and about a thousand others do this and it's not unusual to see pickups full of 'finds' going down the street. It's nearly time again so we'd better get ready!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, there's no better price than free, so sure! I got a great patio set on someone's curb waiting for the large item trash pick up. Just dragged it right to my garage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You better believe I would have rescued that beauty from the dumpster! We have never trash picked because there is never anything good around here in the dumpsters. Even our thriftstores and garage sales have some pretty slim pickins but if we had great stuff like you have getting thrown away- heck yeah... I would dumpster dive in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes...I have:) I just looooove FREE stuff! ope you have a FUN day!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. i loved when we lived at our apt, i got stuff from the dumpster all the time. love the headboard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in Lake Charles and would love to know where this Backhome Collections store is located.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Stephanie, I tried to click to find your email, but it showed your profile was protected---Backhome Collections is right on 171. As you come into town from Lake Charles, it's on your left, about a block before Brookshire Brothers. It's an old brick store front, we call it the old Montgomery Ward building. The side of the building towards Brookshire Bros is painted white with a green and black stencil on it. On bake sale weekends they have a sign out front, but we recently discovered that they also take special orders.

    They have a wide variety of things, from housewares to clothes to books--and of course the baked goods!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know where that is. I used to live in Sugartown and Bundicks Lake.

    I love hitting the flea markets there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. DeRidder does have some good flea markets--now you can add this one to your list!

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails