Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thrifty Thursday

  • She is like the merchant's ships, she bringeth her food (and other things!) from afar
  • She looketh well the ways of her household


It's been awhile since I had a Thrifty Thursday/Vintage Thingy Thursday post to share. We had so much rain for a while that we tried to stay in unless we absolutely had to get out. We did manage to hit a couple of thrift stores one weekend, and my husband spotted this serving bowl for $2 at the Valley Rescue Mission thrift store off of Second Street in Columbus.


I have a soft spot for dishware serving pieces. I grew up in a family where plates were served from the stove and carried to the table. The only things put on the table were baskets of rolls and maybe condiments or relish trays. My Memaw, though, always took everything up into serving dishes and put them on the table, so she had lots of all different kinds of servings bowls. These older white pieces always remind me of the bowls she used to put on the table.

This one has a marking from Homer Laughlin, the manufacturer of Fiesta Ware, as well as restaurant and other industrial pieces. I've checked their website, but I can't find anything that resembles this particular piece, so I don't have a clue as to it's age. It's not an antique, but probably does qualify as "vintage" Suzanne from ColoradoLady left a comment telling me that the numbers show the year and month it was manufactured--in this case, June of 1951--so this bowl defnitely qualifies as "vintage"! Thank you, Suzanne!


It has a couple of chips on the underside...




...but is pretty intact on the inside.

How have you done on your thrifting lately? Now the weather is cooler and it looks like we may actually have some sunshine for awhile, I'm hoping to get out and find some more goodies.

This post is linked to:

Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville

Vintage Thingies Thursday at ColoradoLady

Until next time...


11 comments:

  1. Oh, what a lovely bowl....I did find some research on the markings on Homer Laughlin, and somewhere in a post, I have that info...but to let you know....the 51 number on this bowl stand for the year it was made...and the single number 6 means it was made in the month of June....so, it dates to 1951. When you find a piece of HL dishes, the stamp will be the same on the older pieces, but the numbers are different, depending on the year and month they were manufactured...I have sets with lots of different numbers, but still the same patterns....

    These type of bowls remind me of meals at my grandmothers house too...great memories.

    Have a great VTT and a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these simple bowls. Its like dinerware - syracuse china and things like that. Heavy plates that could go from oven to table and would last forever and ever!

    I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see myself doing what your mother did at times. Rushing the kids here and there and serving from the stove makes less to wash. I'm guilty of it. But I take pride in my vintage dinnerware collections that I use for company and guests.

    I love the bowl and the explanation you gave. Thanks for the post. And didn't you just love poking around in Memaw's collection of things? I sure did!

    "When you relinquish the desire to control your future, you can have more happiness."

    Stop on over and if you like what you see, don't forget to click the "Follow" button so that we can stay in touch. Also, just below is the "Subscribe" button, 100th subscriber wins a Prize! And you will get any blog updates so that we can share one anothers creativity! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I see things like this wonderful bowl, I wish you could pick it up and be magically back in it's time....see who owned it and what their life was like....sort of like a time machine.....thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO pretty, delicate and dainty. Those chips-are character lines. LOve it! Thanks for linking up to Tales from Bloggeritaville!
    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville
    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this plain white bowl, but I love even more how you described how dinner was eaten at your house, with your Memaw putting everything in serving bowls, and the food was put on the plate at the stove. We did the same thing when I was little! Thanks for sharing that story!
    Happy VTT!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting post. Deceptively simple looking, but great vintage. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that bowl is older then me !
    Love it !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes it is nice to see something that is older than me too Kammy. Its a bit of a shock how many vintage things are not.
    Very nice bowl, seems to evoke memories in a lot of us.
    Coloradolady cool info about HL.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Этт топик просто бесподобен :), мне очень нравится .

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails