Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Vintage Tablescape Thursday

This is my first time to participate in Tablescape Thursday, and I think it more than qualifies for Vintage Thingie Thursday, as well!

It's not my own, but the dining room at the restored Chief Vann House near Chatsworth, Georgia, circa 1804. You can see some pictures of the outside of the house here, and some of the separate kitchen on Secrets of a Southern Kitchen here.

Some of the pictures are a little dark--there was a lot of natural light coming through the huge, stately windows, and I didn't really take the time to adjust everything as I would have like. We just happened to go on a special event day, and there were lots of visitors that day. I was trying to take pictures without just getting the backs of heads of people who walked in and out of shots. So I just pointed and clicked the best I could; I would love to go back and take more pictures at my leisure!

As always, click on each picture to see it in detail, then hit the back arrow to come back.



The dining room table, set with period wares
A closer shot of a place setting



All of the food on the table was fake (of course) except for this--I thought maybe it was supposed to be a big piece of dark chocolate, but it's a cake of compressed tea--it looked like it had been pressed into a patterned mold of some sort.


Dining room fire place


Over the sideboard

Silver tea and coffee service


An assortment of forks--this early tableware fascinates me for some reason.




Crackers and cheese; tea service; decanters--the after dinner station?



Now this is a window treatment!

Portrait of Joseph Vann, son of the original owner, he inherited the house at age 11, when his father was murdered in 1809, and lived in the house until he was forced to move West, along with thousands of other Cherokee Indians along what became known as the Trail of Tears.

For more tablescapes, see Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch

For more vintage and thrifty finds, see:

I hope you enjoyed this glimpse of a much earlier time as much as I did.

Until next time...

19 comments:

  1. This room is magnificent, really. A nice break from the norm in the tablescape thing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love historic houses and always enjoy when the dining room is set as if for company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have loved your postings on this house. The two prong forks are interesting. I wonder if they were meant to be individual meat forks? I wonder what a typical meal would have been in this period. Thanks for the slice of history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They certainly did dine in style back in the day, didn't they?! Such beautiful place settings!
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great tablesetting.. i really like the silverware serving.. very vintagey..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your dining room, including the vintage tableware. Those forks are a tad scary though - - - makes me think of the game clue: Miss Scarlet did it in the library with the vintage fork!

    Hehehehehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a formal affair! Thanks for sharing this historical tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely setting and history lesson! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was great! Thanks for sharing! I'm surprised they allowed picture taking at all!
    Nice post!
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlene, love your tour of Chief Vann's dining room. I enjoyed the commentary on the history, interesting. Thanks for the tour! You did a great job on the photos, despite the light and the heads! ;)

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the tour and what a magnificent dining room..i love the tableware & furniture :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great tour. I love old homes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything about this post....love all the vintage elements...so pretty.

    Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds as if you had a wonderful time. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Charlene! Wouldn't it be grand to have a room like this one for a dining area. Yikes!! Just beautiful. I'm thinking my mansion in heaven and the banqueting table there will be the best :0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't you just love history. This is a wonderful room and table. Thanks for sharing.

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooo, I just had to enlarge and study each photo carefully to see everything. Your photos are wonderful..how I would love to visit there. The restorations always fascinate me. Happy VTT and thanks so much for your wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My daughter in law grew up in Dunsmiur. (or however you spell it)
    Great history interlude!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty, and interesting!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails