Monday, July 6, 2009

Three or More--Places I've Been

I've been wanting to participate in the "Three or More" meme (blogger-speak for a bunch of blogs all doing the same themed activity/post). Most of my "three or more" things are at home in Louisiana, not here with me, so I decided to share three photos of favorite places from our travels.

I'm basically a country girl from small town, rural Louisiana. I didn't grow up traveling or even going on vacations much. My maternal grandparents, who traveled the US extensively, took me along on a trip to Montana to visit relatives the summer after 5th grade. The highlight of that trip was getting to go into Canada for a day, so I could say I had been in a foreign country. That whole trip was BIG in my young life. Later on I met and married a man from a really exotic place. California. Let that sink in for just a minute with appropriate silence. I proceeded to basically turn him into a Local Boy. So it was with great joy and trepidation that I embraced the opportunity, once our son graduated from high school and went away to college, to accompany my husband as he travels for his job. Since that time, I've lived for a time in Alaska, Colorado, and Georgia, and have had the chance to do lots and lots of driving and sight seeing to my heart's content.

These are three of my favorite places that I've had the opportunity to visit.



First up is the Arctic Circle, where it intersects the Dalton Highway in Alaska. This was a memorable trip. A little scary, as this is way off the beaten path, but it was exciting to know that I've been someplace that not a lot of people get to go.




Second up is the Bonneville Salt Flats, west of Salt Lake City, Utah. This is where the world land speed record is set. There is nothing but flatness for miles and miles, and you can see the air as it shimmers with heat and minerals.



And last but not least, cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde, Colorado. I can't fathom how the builders knew just how to build these so very long ago--low enough to catch the sun for heat in the cold of winter, and high enough under the overhangs to be protected from it during the heat of summer.

The pictures really don't do these places justice, but if you click on the pictures you can see them in a larger format in much more detail. Afterward just hit the "back" button on your browser and it will bring you back to this page.

Want to see what other bloggers are sharing? Check out the links at Three or More Tuesday at the Gypsy's Corner.

Until next time...

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been to some neat places. Great photos.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlene, wonderful pictures....looks like great places to visit.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have seen some very nice places in your lifetime. There is so mucht to seen in such a big country as the US is that you never have to leave it. We live in such a small country(Belgium) that if you travel 2 hours either way you are in France, Germany, Luxemburg,Holland or the UK! Enjoy your travels and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wayyy cool...thansk for taking us w/ you! Am fascinated by the salt flats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cliff dwellings spark my imagination to seeing the people who built them and how they lived. Such an amazing thing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Never been to any of those places, and I've traveled A LOT.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT photos!!! Alaska is ALWAYS worth the visit. I don't have pictures, but I have been to:

    North Pole (Alaska)
    Hell (Grand Cayman)
    Wall Drug (South Dakota) LOL

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails