Wednesday, June 22, 2011

It's Raining!!


  • Who can find a virtuous woman? her price is far above rubies

  • ...with the fruit of her hands, she planteth a vineyard...

Yesterday in the wee hours of the morning I woke up to one of the most beautiful sounds in the world---that of rain hitting the roof and pouring off onto the ground! It's been literally weeks! We were about 20 inches down in total rainfall for last year and this one--gardens and pasture and crops have dried up and shriveled on the vine, and we've had at least a month of temperatures in the high 90's and low triple digits.


But not today. Praise the Lord! The high so far today has been in the 70's. Yesterday we got almost 2 1/2 inches at our place, that good slow, stop-and-start kind that lets it a lot of it soak in instead of running off. And it's raining again, today, too! Yippee!

Yesterday morning, off my carport...


...and out back toward the garden and one of the cow pastures...



I couldn't resist trying to snap a picture of the rain dripping and running off the roof of the back porch...


...and of water still standing on the brick walkway.


...even puddles in the driveway, and a birdbath, filled with fresh water that didn't come out of a hose!


I'm getting cherry tomatoes by the handfuls, but the cucumbers are still dying off, one by one. I'm tempted to just pull them up and wait until the fall, but I think I'll wait to see what the rain and a couple of days of cooler temperatures does (if anything) to revive them.


Meanwhile, I'm listening to the hay meadow across the road--I think I can hear it growing as we speak!


Until next time...

This post is linked to:


Tuesday Garden Party at An Oregon Cottage

Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer










4 comments:

  1. Ah, the sound of rain. I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful Charlene! I'm sure the cucumbers will do better with the cooler weather. We take rain for granted around here, we just don't realize how thankful we should be. Today I'll rejoice in it, rather than grumble about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rains too. Catching the reflection in the puddles and the rain washed greens! Beautiful pictures... would love to see more of the cherry tomatoes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from Tuesday Garden Party -- We've been getting some rain this week, too after weeks of upper nineties. All those weeks sure make us appreciate the rain!

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails