Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thrift and Dollar Store Decorating for Fall

  • Who can find a virtuous woman? her price is far above rubies
  • She is like the merchant's ships, she bringeth her food (and other things!) from afar
  • She looketh well to the ways of her household
  • ...all of her household are clothed with scarlet
I'll admit it, when I first started seeing posts around the blogosphere about fall decorating back at the first of September, I was aghast. We were still experiencing temperatures in the high 90's, with the heat index in the triple digits! Who could even think fall under those circumstances? Last week I finally made a dollar store purchase or two and pulled out some things I already had, and did some tentative seasonal decorating--just in time for a cold front! We had one whole day where the temps didn't climb into the 90's, and where I actually thought about pulling out a long sleeved shirt to wear. Not to worry, it was back to normal today, but it sure did feel good for a day or two, and it did get me at least thinking about up coming holidays and events!
So far on the porch all I've done is change out my wreath for this thrifty fall wreath I made last year from dollar store decorations and a repurposed grapevine wreath.
For indoors, I started this centerpiece--made from a charger I already had--which I'm sure came from the dollar store--and two new Dollar Tree purchases--the glass vase and bag of dried thingies, $1 each--total cost so far, $2.



It's not quite done--I had originally planned to fill the vase with the dried goodies, mixed with a few pine cones from the woods or the side of the road, but when I spread these out on the charger while I decided which to put in the vase first, I liked the look of it, so I decided to leave them around the outside.

I want to add a candle inside the glass, but so far I haven't found one tall enough that I like, so for now, I'm enjoying it this way.


The other thing I did in the "dining room"--which is the end of our eat-in kitchen--is fill one of my vintage jars with nuts, and the other one with a fall pick and some silk leaves--all dollar store purchases from years past.

And this one is filled with old buttons, all different shapes, sizes, and colors. These were leftovers from my grandmother's sewing table, and range from really vintage buttons from the 50's and 60's to more modern ones that were cut off of shirts when they were discarded.


So far that's all of the fall decorating I've done--our "cold front" has just about passed, and we're back in the heat, but I have some mums I need to repot, and I forsee a pumpkin to sit beside them on the porch later in the month. Eventually fall will arrive in the south!


Until next time...



This post is linked to:

Vintage Thingie Thursday at Coloradolady
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Fall Get Together Party and Decorating Your Home at It's a Blog Party
31 Days of Autumn Bliss at the Inspired Room

9 comments:

  1. Love your fall decor! I was just looking for ideas. I had seen a lot of things in catalogs, but I really don't want to spend a ton of money. Thank you so much for sharing what you did! :)

    Have a blessed day!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right it is hard to get fall fever when it is so hot. Thank goodness it is some better here too. Your fall decorations look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely displays. I have a hard time even thinking about fall decor when it has been so hot...finally it is cooling off, but I am not motivated to drag out my fall decor....oh well!! Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, there isn't anything lovlier than an old jar full of old buttons :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your thrifty ideas. I am a thrifty girl. I love old buttons.
    I really like that display on the charger plate too :)
    Have a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas. I love the canning jars. Have a blessed week. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love your buttons! Your fall decor is coming along nicely -- I just did that this morning, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought the same bag of dried thingies from Dollar Tree! LOL I put them inside a glass pumpkin I picked up from the thrift shop. A bag of similar looking stuff costs $7 at the craft store.

    Nice blog ya have here!

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails