Thursday, September 3, 2009

Thrifty Finds

  • She looketh well to the ways of her household
It's been a while since I've had a chance to go thrifting--searching the thrift stores and flea markets for those pieces that appeal, for whatever reason. Last week I had some things I needed to drop off at Goodwill, so I took the opportunity to do a quick run through of a couple of places.

I had my mom with me, and we started off in the local Goodwill. I really like the store here in DeRidder, it's clean and well-organized. I didn't find anything I wanted or needed on this particular trip, but it's a definite repeat stop.

The next place we went was Treasure City Market downtown on Washington Street. It's more of a flea market, with different booths that belong both the store owner and to others, so there's a variety of items, from new to used to vintage to antique, and the because the prices are set by the booth owners, there's a wide range there, as well, from "Are they kidding??" to "Not bad!". Unfortunately it was one of those sweltering south Louisiana days, so even in the morning it got stuffy fast, so we didn't linger. This is another definite repeat stop, but not until the weather cools down-which could be late fall in this area!

Our last stop of the morning was a favorite of mine--Backhome Collections on East First Street. It's a combination thrift shop/flea market. It's where I bought my first Meakin Vine bowl a few months ago that got me inspired to start thrifting a little more, as well as my first old Mason jar.

Mom and I both found something we wanted this trip, too.

I bought this canning jar for $2.50--I love the ones with the old zinc lids. I knew it wasn't nearly as old as the first jar I bought, and on closer inspection, I don't the jar is as nearly as old as the lid. This jar is marked "Ball Perfect Mason" and at the base "13K". I don't think metric markings were used commonly until at least the mid 70's. So although I'm pretty sure the lid pre-dates the jar, I don't mind buying it just for the lid itself--that way if I find one later that I like that doesn't have the zinc lid with it, I can switch them.


Meanwhile, the lids still give them that commonality until I can find another really old jar!

My mom found this amber tinted jar with the metal bale fastener for $1.50. Isn't it pretty?


The lid is marked "Floral" and has some other little marking on it--we have no idea if it's antique, vintage, or mearly "gently used", but she's like me, she buys what appeals to her or catches her eye--that's probably where I get mine from, too!

So how have you made out on your thrifting? Find any good bargains lately?

To see what others around the blogosphere are finding, join me at:

Thrifty Thursday
at Tales from Bloggeritaville and at

Vintage Thingie Thursday
at Coloradolady

Today's Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality



Until next time...

21 comments:

  1. Your Mom's find is adorable, and who cares how old it is? If you like it, it's great!

    I have some old canning jars that belonged to my grandmother, from the early part of the 20th century. I'm afraid I take them for granted; some are lovely bluish tones, some are clear.

    Happy Thrifting!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old jars. Great finds. The one your mom found is really interesting. I would have bought that one too. I did find a wonderful deal on China last weekend..and even though I did not NEED them, I had to have them....they will be featured if I can get the pics taken next week. Have a great weekend and a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the amber jar also, love the
    color and detailing on it! :)
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You found some great jars, and I especially love that amber one! I've never seen one like that, but what a great decoration for Fall! I can just see that sitting on a windowsill, with the sun blazing through it!
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful canning jars - I've never seen any in amber - lucky you!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you and your mom had a fun day of thrifting. Love the old jars you both found...so many uses for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they are gorgeous..love the amber glass :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old jars are always a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love old jars. I have a blue one that was my great grandmothers.

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're like me. If it speaks to you, buy it whether it is antique, vintage, or gently used!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOve old jars, they can be used in so many ways. Always a great buy! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday this week, my friend!
    Leigh, Tales from Bloggeritaville
    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Ive bought those like that one just for the lids, too! I had more blue jars than I had lids, until I found some like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh - I love the Goodwill in DeRidder also. So much better than the ones in Alexandria and Pineville which are uber expensive. So glad to see someone from down the road from us blogging. We live a little piece from Pitkin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your jars! The amber one is too pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been looking for Mason jars with zinc lids. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love old canning jars and have so many vintage ones. I use the older jars for flour storage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those old jars, I've found a few too & esp. love the blue ones.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another old jar lover here!

    Yknow, I was wondering what the K oculd stand for? It's certainly not kilograms, because that's weight and would be written Kg. ??

    Also, I read somewhere that a ball jar with the number 13 on it (though I don't know *where* exactly... my guess is at the bottom?) are rarer. People were too superstitious to use them so they'd break them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love old canning jars and bottles. They have such history to them. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it all! The amber jar is just so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the jars and the zinc lids. How cool are they? I'm glad you are getting into thrifting and antiquing things, that way we can see what you buy :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your $.02 Worth:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails